Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91688 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #270 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Rissoles were the business - used to have those regularly at the cafe where we went for lunch from work.   I'm sure they were the same basic recipe as 'faggots', which my mother was a great fan of, but if they'd called them that on the menu I wouldn't have touched them!

Rissoles are minced beef and onions with a handful of breadcrumbs and an egg to bind it all together.

Faggots are minced offal with a handful of breadcrumbs and an egg. Wrapped up in cawl (the fat from a pig's abdomen).

I love both, but the latter are hard to find nowadays

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:16 GMT (UK) »
The Black & White Minstrel Show.

That certainly does seem impossible now.

Except here in the Netherlands! ;D
Next 4 weeks will see Sinterclaas (St Nicholas) travelling around the country accompanied by Zwarte Piet (Black Pete).
Zwarte Piet is always blacked up, and very few people seem to mind?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Meles.  I rest my case!    Cawl, eh?     You were doing OK til you got to that bit!
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Thursday 03 November 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Caul is the spelling, cawl is a soup.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Thursday 03 November 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Rissoles were the business - used to have those regularly at the cafe where we went for lunch from work.   I'm sure they were the same basic recipe as 'faggots', which my mother was a great fan of, but if they'd called them that on the menu I wouldn't have touched them!

Rissoles are minced beef and onions with a handful of breadcrumbs and an egg to bind it all together.

Faggots are minced offal with a handful of breadcrumbs and an egg. Wrapped up in cawl (the fat from a pig's abdomen).

meles

My local butcher sells faggots...
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline JustBenjy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
In the haberdashery department of our local Coop, you gave the sales assistant the money and they put it into a small cylinder with the sales chitty and then put the cylinder into a pipe.  Compressed air took the cylinder to an upstairs office (I presume) where some clerk put the correct change into the cylinder and sent it back down to the sales assistant who then gave it to the customer.  This system made a lot of hissing and popping noises as you can imagine and as a 6 year old, I was fascinated.  I was really disappointed when they dismantled it  :'( :'(   ;D

Anyone remember the other sort of cash carriers that raced around the shop on overhead wires?

Jan ;)

The tube is a LAMSON tube. We had them in Pages dept store in Camberley High Street. My schoolpal used to put a soggy orange in the tube, press the button and send it to accounts! The day he sent a sandwich wrapped in greaseproof paper all hell broke loose.  A variant is still in use in some Tesco stores.

The overhead wires were something else. Again, OVERS of Camberley had these in their dept store in Camberley, next to the Odeon cinema on London Road, not far from the Duke of York pub.

Offline JustBenjy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »

meles

My local butcher sells faggots...

I took an American colleague shopping in Sainsburys. He found faggots in the freezer. One hour later he was still laughing, and talks about it to this day, some 20 years later.

Offline JustBenjy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The Black & White Minstrel Show.

That certainly does seem impossible now.

Except here in the Netherlands! ;D
Next 4 weeks will see Sinterclaas (St Nicholas) travelling around the country accompanied by Zwarte Piet (Black Pete).
Zwarte Piet is always blacked up, and very few people seem to mind?!

I had laughed at Morecambe and Wise for at least 40 years, then someone asked me did i think it was strange that the two guys were in bed together. I didn't until he mentioned it, and now it does seem strange but no-one seemed to think it was significant.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
A young (30ish) colleague who was trawling through some paperwork suddenly burst out "Did any of you know that the Post Office used to own BT?!!"