Author Topic: 1851 Census - Simms  (Read 12219 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Simms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your results.   I was aware of her later life ie marriages to George Woolman and Alfred Joyce, this being the subject of an earlier post in a different county.   I believe that she died in 1880  in Aylestone, Leics - there is an entry infreeBMD for the death of Mary Joyce age 40 in Blaby district - by 1881 Alfred joyce is widowed.   It has all given me food for thought, thank you both again, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 June 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

From microfiche of Uppingham Parish Registers DE 1784/9 the following baptisms:

No. 1119, 18 May 1840 John Thomas son of John Simms (a labourer) and Sarah 
No. 1185, 10 July 1842 Mary Jane daughter of John Simms (a labourer) and Sarah 
No. 1322, 20 January 1846 Cordelia Ann daughter of John Simms (a labourer) and Sarah 
No. 1349, 13 August 1846 Lewis son of John Simms (a labourer) and Sarah 
No. 1443, 18 May 1849 Samuel son of John Sims (a labourer) and Sarah

There are two other Simms families in Uppingham in this period:
Samuel and Mary Simms,  William and Mary Simms

Hope this helps.

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 June 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Crowboy,

That's great.   The baptisms fit well with her age in 1871 census as Mary J. Joyce, her death registration and a family in the 1851 census.   Looks like this could well be the family.

I notice you live in Adelaide, are you anywhere near Kapunda where some of my Renfrey and Hawke relatives lived in the 19th century, as did my brother in law in the 20th?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 June 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Just noticed as I was copying the baptisms that Cordelia Ann and Lewis were both 1846.   Please confirm the year.
Thanks Dave

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 June 11 02:08 BST (UK) »
Dave,

The baptism dates for Cordelia and Lewis are correct.

Free BDM shows that Cordelia's birth was registered in June Q 1844 - Uppingham 15, 701 and Louis (Lewis) in June Q 1846 - Uppingham 15, 747.

It seems that John and Sarah took their time in having Cordelia baptised.  I occasionally see a notation by the curate to the effect that the child was claimed to be x years old etc but not in this instance.  The interval between birth and baptism is usually about 6 weeks I believe.

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 June 11 02:19 BST (UK) »

I notice you live in Adelaide, are you anywhere near Kapunda where some of my Renfrey and Hawke relatives lived in the 19th century, as did my brother in law in the 20th?

Dave

Kapunda is a good hour drive north of Adelaide. I know it reasonably well as my brother and his family lived there for a few years around 1980.
I also have strong connections to Kapunda as my Barkla and Harden ancestors date back to 1852 there.  One of the Barkla girls (Julia) married Henry Binney Hawke.

Regards

Crowboy

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 June 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the confirmation.   I know baptisms sometimes do not reflect the ages of the children but thought I'd check to make sure.

One of my Renfrey family - Jane Renfrey - married Richard Hawke and the family came to Australia on the Reliance in 1851.   Is Henry Binney Hawke a relation?

Dave