Author Topic: Hanson family Laughton in Gainsborough  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanson family Laughton in Gainsborough
« on: Thursday 23 June 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
A distant relative Rhoda Matilda Yearsley from Monmouth was schoolmistress at Laughton in 1881 and married John Henry Hanson from Laughton in 1885. I have no idea how she ended up on the opposite side of the country from her birthplace - no prior family connection that I know of. Any ideas gratefully received.
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hanson family Laughton in Gainsborough
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Have you tracked this family on the census?
 I have a relative that was born oswesby Lincolnshire went to  worked Gloucestershire- - worked in Lancashire -married in cardiff-worked then in Devon moved back to Cardiff- moved to Pontypridd and died there 1823- 1873.
So what info are you looking for?
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline hwilson90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
I don't know that you'd ever find out really. Unless you can find a family connection it may just be one of those things.

Not sure how much info you already have but I've had a quick check of the censuses and in 1891 they are still in Laughton with a daughter - Ethel b.1887. They are in Cottingham, Yorks in 1901. John's occupation is listed as 'Dist Council Surveyor & Inspector'.
Lincolnshire -
Wilson, Cavill, Andrews, Smith

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!

There is no family connection that I can discover so it seemed to me to be a bit strange for a single woman to travel all the way from Monmouth to be a school teacher in a small place in Lincolnshire - though I suppose Jane Eyre and Nicholas Nickelby did it so maybe not so strange after all. Perhaps the village school put an advert out for a teacher and Rhoda Matilda fancied a change of scene.
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline hwilson90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, it could be a similar situation to Jane Eyre. You don't know if anything had happened in Monmouth - disagreement with family, death of a fiancé. Ok I might be getting a bit carried away but moves such as this one did happen. A female relative of mine moved to Australia by herself around this time. And another moved to Australia with a man she had not yet married!

Good luck with your search :)
Lincolnshire -
Wilson, Cavill, Andrews, Smith