Author Topic: Mary Powell b.1832 Ellesmere  (Read 1623 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Powell b.1832 Ellesmere
« on: Friday 24 June 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful for any information regarding Mary Powell or her parents George and Jane.They both appear to have died which may be the reason why Mary and her siblings were in the Ellesmere Union Workhouse at the time of the 1841 census.Her father was a stonemason.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Powell b.1832 Ellesmere
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 11 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can confirm what you are saying:

George Powell did marry a Jane ? Mary was their daughter...

Mary was possibly ch at St Martins, Shropshire in 1832 (not too far from Ellesmere).

Anything else is speculation without a little more info, there are too many possibilities without another date, say.

e.g. 1861 census shows Mary Powell b. Shropshire with an illegitimate son, Thomas aged 4, they were living in some sort of communal premises in Cheshire.

There are numerous Jane Powells who died between 1834 and 1839 in or around Ellesmere. The name George Powell is equally popular.

Any further info you may have can only be helpful. It does sound a very sad scenario.

Good luck

Regards
Geoff

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Geoff,
Thanks for your reply and for confirming what I thought was correct. There are too many Jane Powells and George Powells. I believe that "my" Powells married at Malpas Church on 10 May 1825. After that there's nothing definite , but it does seem as though both parents had died for the children to end up in the workhouse in 1841. What appears to be even more sad is that I think their son George was still in the workhouse at the time of the 1851 census.
Mary Powell was my great-great grandmother. She did have an illegitimate child in about 1858 and as you state was living in Chester at the time of the 1861 census.She married my great-great grandfather in 1862 in Chester.

Thanks again.
Doug ( "Pirhana" )
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline Brummie99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi "Pirhana" Doug
A reply to your very old post ....
Mary Powell is also my Great Great Grandmother, so I think we're at least 3rd cousins !
I am descended from her daughter Mary Jane Hill b1869.
I concur with the details given in this thread .... have you been able to find any more details about George Powell and his wife Jane ; or our G G Grandfather's parents Robert Hill and Elizabeth Tanner ?