Author Topic: 1841 Census lookup COLWALL  (Read 5890 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
1841 Census lookup COLWALL
« on: Saturday 25 June 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace any information about my great-great-great-grandfather's first wife, Ann. Ann married John Davis (alternative spelling Davies) and they lived in Colwall, Herefordshire. I know John married secondly Maria Parker in 1846, he is down as a widower on the marriage certificate. I have that his first wife was called Ann and they had three children called Ann (b.1828 Colwall), Hannah (1830-1852, Colwall) and John (born circa 1832 in Colwall). There is a death entry for a Ann Davis on July 28th 1843 but she is aged 48, so born 1795, while John was born in 1807. I would imagine she is still with John in the 1841 census; is she older than John?

I'd like to know what Ann's maiden name was, and where she came from or when she married John. Also any further news about their children would be appreciated. I descend from John's second marriage, via his only daughter with Maria, Jane.

Best wishes!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline rosiemagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census lookup COLWALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've found the family in the 1841 census and Ann is showing as 5 years older than John, but I've just remembered they rounded up/down in this census.....anyway here's the entry:-

HO107/424   Book/Folio 9/9
Wyche Road, Colwall

DAVIS, John     M 35 1806  Herefordshire   
DAVIS, Ann     F 40 1801     
DAVIS, Hannah     F 11 1830  Herefordshire   
DAVIS, John     M 9 1832     
DAVIS, Ann     F 13 1828  Herefordshire

RM :-)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Mears in Warwickshire
Sutton in Warwickshire and London (mainly St Pancras area)
Taylor in Worcestershire and Warwickshire
Clark(e) in Warwickshire
Lockington in England and Australia

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosiemagic,

it seems to confirm that the Ann who died in 1843 is John's wife as she was older than he was. Sadly the 1841 census doesn't say where people were born, but was she born in the county of Hereford according to the 1841 census? If so then searching for a marriage in the area might be an idea--- though I've no idea of how to start :S
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline rosiemagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi cimbrio

Just had another look......John aged 35, Hannah and Ann aged 13 were born in Herefordshire. 
Ann aged 40 and John aged 9 weren't.

Hope this helps,
RM :-)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Mears in Warwickshire
Sutton in Warwickshire and London (mainly St Pancras area)
Taylor in Worcestershire and Warwickshire
Clark(e) in Warwickshire
Lockington in England and Australia

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks again rosiemagic!

Yes, now at least I know she wasn't born in Colwall and the county of Hereford. Perhaps little John was born in her place of origin. I'll see if an hour of researching sheds any light on the matter. If you (or anyone) can find any trace of Ann's place of birth let me know, please!

Best regards

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 June 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Me again. Just to narrow it down a bit, I was wondering that, if little John was still alive and living with his father in 1851, is there a chance that he is down in the census, and that it says in which county he had been born? There are several, John Davis born in 1832 which might fit, and I imagine he and his mother were born in the surrounding counties (ie Gloucestershire, Worcestershire... maybe Wales...). Of course, if he died young then I'm stuck and I have to try another angle.

Thanks!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi hope this helps on the 1851 Census is a John Davis aged 19 shown as Footman for Frederick and Penelope Custance at the Rectory Colwall he is born St Asaph, Flintshire.
Census Ref HO107/1975/41/16
 Also it looks like John Davis snr remarries as this is 1851:-

John Davis 46 occ Carter b Colwall
Maria 37 b Kenssey Worcs
Jane 4 b Colwall
John Richard 41 Married/Mason b Usk Monmouthshire.
Residing at Wytch, Colwall.
Census Ref HO107/1975/47/29
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you keyboard 86! It's certainly very possible that this is John "the younger". I can't find a death or a marriage in Colwall for John. It's a shame the name is so common. I know he isn't with his family in 1861 (at least I seem to remember his father is by then with his second wife and daughter Jane). Does he appear alive on the 1861 census, can you see? I'm going to try and find a marriage in St Asaph or elsewhere in Flintshire. Thank you for contributing!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D Just spotted your last post, as I amended my last re remarriage of John Snr!!

Will have a look at 1861 for you ok

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk