Author Topic: Mc'Donnell's Hotel, Clifden, Galway - burnt 1921  (Read 11958 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Mc'Donnell's Hotel, Clifden, Galway - burnt 1921
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
I have been transcribing material I got in British Nat Archives recently, and followers of this thread may like an update.

There were in fact at least 2 military inquiries into McDonnells death and Dublin was not happy with either. The first inquiry found

1st Inquiry produced this result that J J McDonnell died "of a gunshot wound fired by a person unknown and that the shot was fired with murderous intent"

Dublin told them to do another inquiry as they had not considered all the evidence

2nd Inquiry was not a lot fuller but produced a very diferent conclusion and ended with "in the absence of corroboration of the evidence of Alexander McDonnell (his father ) died of.....gunshot rounds fired by the police in the execution of their duty"

Dublin is still not happy, they want the "rough man" (who was among the police party which raided his house) identified by McDonnell's father to be found.

There is nothing else in the file in Kew. Either nothing else happened, or it has been pulled from the files and is still secret, or it is filed somewhere else in Kew

My full write up on McDonnell is on this link
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mc'Donnell's Hotel, Clifden, Galway - burnt 1921
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 January 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if there is any link between these McDonnell and the McDonnell's of Moore Hall because of family name Alexander and John Joe?
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin