Author Topic: Help needed to locate an ancestor's home in Mattersey Thorpe, in 1851  (Read 1338 times)

Offline GaznDon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed to locate an ancestor's home in Mattersey Thorpe, in 1851
« on: Tuesday 28 June 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
According to the censuses, my ancestor Richard Undy was a farmer with 25 acres in Mattersey Thorpe in 1841 and 1851. He died in 1855.
I would love to know exactly where the farm was, and what happened to it, that is, did he sell it or who inherited it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Donna
ADAMS, AVENELL, BOLDOCK, CUBLEY, DARWENT, GILES, GREATOREX, HEATHCOTE, HILL, HOMER, HUNTER, INGALL, LANGSDALE, MOODY, MOORE, PINDER, QUICK, REVILL, REYNOLDS, SHAW, TYSON, WAGSTAFF, WALKER, WATSON, WHITE, UNDY.<br /><br />Derbys, Leics, Lincs, Notts, Wilts (Highworth), Worcs (Stourbridge), Yorks (Sheffield, Rotherham).  
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to locate an ancestor's home in Mattersey Thorpe, in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I realise this isn't going to answer your questions but looking at the 1851 census I see that both Richard Undy and William, who appears to be his son, lived in Mattersey Thorpe which seems to be situated between Blaco Hill and Mattersey Grange and I wonder if the Ordnance Survey grid references for these two places will help you to narrow down your search area.

If you 'google' Mattersey Grange you will find some photos with grid reference SK6789.  Likewise Blaco Hill Farm has reference SK6987.  You will also see that Blaco Hill Cottages are now holiday rentals and I wonder if you have considered the possibility that Richard did not actually own his 25 acres but may have been a tenant farmer?

Hope this helps in some small way.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GaznDon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
Yes that's a great help, thank you!
I did wonder whether Richard was only a tenant, but I know there was a fair bit of land and property owned by the three previous generations, which led me to believe he was probably more of a 'Yeoman' like his forefathers! Of course I could be wrong.
Perhaps I should contact the current owners of Blaco Hill farm, in case they know anything about the history of it. Might be worth a try.
Many thanks again,
Donna
ADAMS, AVENELL, BOLDOCK, CUBLEY, DARWENT, GILES, GREATOREX, HEATHCOTE, HILL, HOMER, HUNTER, INGALL, LANGSDALE, MOODY, MOORE, PINDER, QUICK, REVILL, REYNOLDS, SHAW, TYSON, WAGSTAFF, WALKER, WATSON, WHITE, UNDY.<br /><br />Derbys, Leics, Lincs, Notts, Wilts (Highworth), Worcs (Stourbridge), Yorks (Sheffield, Rotherham).  
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I should contact the current owners of Blaco Hill farm, in case they know anything about the history of it. Might be worth a try.

I'd give it a go - can't do any harm!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk