Author Topic: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill  (Read 12337 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
The marriage reference came from the BMD Index on familysearch - the link is included in the introduction topic...

Since it's the only Peter Monks marriage listed for that timeframe it seems like it would be worth checking out.. you might be able to connect it (or rule it out), by checking the address, occupation or father's details

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
We do not have her surname and I didn't gain anything from Irish Genealogy, which I find an infuriating site.  I don't believe I have ever recovered anything from it.  ... 

The IrishGenealogy site works well, I think the problem is the lack of clues for the marriage i.e. the who (which Anne) where and when - the website concentrates on city records so if they married in a county parish, e.g. somewhere between Garristown and the city, then they would not be included.

Not knowing Anne's maiden surname is a big disadvantage, as you would have no way to confirm, or rule out any possible marriages - there could be more than one Peter Monks with a wife named Anne at that time. That's why I'd try for the sons baptism first..  in the hope that it should show a maiden name for her, and also give you a location for the family at the time

you didn't mention a denomination for your Monks ancestors - but if they were RC then you need to check for Christian names in Latin also - e.g. Petrus

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane.

RC, yes.  So Latin is the Key!  I should have thought of this.  I'll lift my interdict on Irish Genealogy for the moment then.  :)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Monks/ Anne Hyland
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 June 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
I see only one marriage for a Peter Monks on the BMD index around the right time (i.e. between 1870 and 1880) - but there's no cross-match to anyone with the surname Hyland..

Name: Peter Monks
  Registration district: Dublin North
  Event type:    Marriage
  Year: 1874
  Volume : 2 / Page : 635

It could be worth looking at the hard-copy indexes, if you're in Dublin, Xotan, or if someone would have a look for you ....

I had two marriages where I couldn't find a match on familysearch (checked several times all variations)- I had justabout decided that they didn't marry, but when I checked the actual indexes, there was the other half for both marriages.
when I got home, I rechecked familysearch with the exact details, and the two husbands are NOT there.

(I'm still using the old site, as my computer won't cope with the new one )

eadaoin

edit: 4 July: I looked at the microfilm indexes Marriages 1874
I didn't find Anne Hyland/Hiland to match
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 July 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
There are also a few marriages that do not have both bride and groom entered correctly in the original index books.. presumably  some sort of mistake in the manual indexing, or compiling the books.

In the days before the familysearch Index I located a possible match for the marriage of a gt-grandparent, but couldn't find anything for his wife. I know her full name and spent ages checking .. with no luck. Luckily it not a common surname, and the area seemed to fit so I just ordered the cert based on one partner - and there was the bride on the cert... name spelt as expected.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 July 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Eadaoin & Shane,

Thanks for your further help.

I am afraid it is not possible for me to make a personal check as I live in the extreme south of France - I sometimes go to Spain for lunch.   :)  So I am a long way away.  I think the best I can do is to try get someone in Dublin to check it out for me.

Can you tell me where the Indexes/registers are now kept.  There have been administrative changes in Ireland since I left, getting o for 10 years ago, so I am not sure of their location.  I will be in Dublin briefly in September, but time will be at a premium and I may not be able to fit in a search personally...  Also I wanted, if possible, to have a look at wills in the National Archive, and I was dedicating a morning to that.

Shane, apropos the Latin suggestion, I have been trying the Department of Arts, Heritage etc site 'Irish Genealogy', and I still draw a blank in both Latin and English.  I assume that is the site you were referring to. 

I agree that the birth of Nicholas (II) Monks in 1850 is a possible/the most likely key to the maiden name of Peter's wife.  Alas, I fear this is a brick wall.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 July 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Civil records are held by the GRO and you can order these by post from the head office in Roscommon. You can search the BMD Index online for the references required to avoid paying search fees.

If you visit the GRO Research room (Abbey St, Dublin) you can access the Index books to search for possible matches. The details on these were used to create the BMD Index on FamilySearch. There's no direct access to the registers - you have to order the certs to see the details.

The majority of pre 1922 wills were lost during the civil war.

Introduction to Irish Records
 Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 July 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,

Sorry I am a little late getting back to you with my thanks for your last posting and the links therein.

Much appreciated!

Grand merci

David.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
I am still worrying away at the Anne Hyland-Monks mystery.  So far we have

- a Peter Monks marrying in 1874, but no cross match to Hyland.
 - a claim by my late father that Anne is buried in Peter's grave, but not named on the headstone
 - Glasnevin record does NOT show her in his grave, therefore is she buried in another grave or elsewhere?
 - There are a burials in Glasnevin for an Anne Monks in both 1889 and 1890
 - The 1889 Anne was in the South Dublin Union Workhouse, and the age is not in agreement with family details
 - The 1890 Anne was in 37 Mid. Gardiner St. NORTH UNION.  A workhouse?  Her age matches family details.

Would it be possible for someone, kindly, to look at a Thoms Directory of late 1880s for the address of 37 Middle Gardiner Street, please, to see what is recorded.  And pending my arrival in Dublin is it possible to confirm that it is or is not the North Union Workhouse?  I had always believed that that was over in the Brunswick Street area. 

Help would be greatly appreciated to bring my step g.g.grandmother back into the family fold.

Many thanks

Xotan/David.