Author Topic: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 October 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

See link below, which includes another old advert, see also 1911 census for Patrick Cahill's occupation.

http://ccalireland.com/Graphics/database-images-201002/religion_related/slides/spectacles_for_the_pope.html

Will scan page and post it for you. My Cahills came from Co Kildare going back 200 years and Tipperary before that.

J.T.A.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 October 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
David,

Here is another mention, dated 1903. He must have been quite old by 1929. You will probably find his obit in several papers.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NZT19031105.2.19

J.T.A.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 October 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
a few details following on from J.T.A's clue re the address for Cahills :

Wellington Quay

13 Mrs. Elizabeth Keary, optician
  (also a number of solicitors listed at the address)

13 Patrick Cahill (Ltd), optician to H.H. Pope Pius X
    optician to Ophthalmic hospital,
    optician & philosophical instrument maker
     and at 4 Sth. Anne St
   " Patrick J. Cahill, optician - res. Ard na Griena, Rathmines
   (also a number of solicitors listed at the address)

13 Patrick Cahill, optician to H.H. Pope Pius XI
  "   Patrick Keary-Cahill, optician - res. 72 Northumberland Rd
  "  W.D. Coyne, solicitor
 14 A. Bassi & Co.,  religious statue & frame manuf.
   res. 33 Upr Rathmines
  15 Patrick Keary-Cahill, optician

13-14 Patrick Cahill, optician to H.H. Pope Pius XI

13 Patrick Cahill, optician  
 The Clarence Hotel is at number 6,7 & 8

13 Newbold & Co., optical manfact.
   "  Walter Nash & Co., printers

(src Thom's Directories)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 October 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Patrick's family seem to have been Gaelic scholars. 1901 census is a translation in English from the original where he is named Patrick Keary: in 1911 he is named Patrick Keary Cahill. You may get a copy of the original census page in Irish from the National Archives.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003778614/

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 November 10 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I have been away for a while and needed to do some sorting out of material on my return., so apologies for my silence over the past month or so.

The amount of interest and help that you have all shown on this thread is very much appreciated, and I thank all contributors most sincerely.  I hope you will be patient with me when I come back with more questions, as I inevitably will.

I hope all your projects are going well!

Sincerely,

David.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
It's a while since I have written here about the Monks Family.  The holiday season, then flu, and the need to get written up what information has been so kindly been furnished have kept me occupied.

At present I am trying to tease out a number of matters in connection with my gt gt grandfather, Peter Monks, b.1826, d. 1884.

Peter was married twice.  His first wife was born ca. 1819 and died in 1870.  Her given name was Anne, but her surname is unknown.  This is unfortunate, as we are descended from her.  Their son, Nicholas, was born in 1850 which means that Peter and Anne would have been married perhaps two or three years previously.  I have tried Irish Genealogy but have not had any success.

Peter, at least in his latter years, lived at 55 Kirwan Street Cottages and his funeral took place from there.

Anne was uried from 89 Phibsborough Road in 1870, so presumably the move to Kirwan Street Cottages took place after her death.

After his first wife's death, peter married again - another Anne!  This time we know her surname, Hyland.  But that is all.  She survived him, dying, I believe, ca 1890.  I am not aware if there was any issue from the Monks/Hyland union.

The issues, then are:

Peter's first wife's surname?

How, when, why did Peter move to Kirwan Street Cottages, much smaller than Phibsborough Road?

Did Anne Hyland continue living there after Peter's death?

Where is Anne Hyland buried?

Can anyone help please?

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Peter Monks/ Anne Hyland
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get some information of the two wives of Peter Monks (1824 - 1884). 

Peter was born in Tubbergregan/Garristown, Co. Dublin.  His eldest child (Nicholas) was born in 1850, so his marriage to his first wife Anne (surname unknown) would have taken place in 1848 or 1849, most likely.  They lived in 89 Phibsborough Road.  Anne died in 1870. 

Peter remarried.  I don't have a date for this.  His second wife was Annne Hyland.  According to my father's notes her father was manager of the Gaiety Theatre, but I think there may be a problem with this from the timing point of view.  He died in 1884 and at that time they were living in 55 Kirwan Street Cottages - a bit of a oscial come-down, perhaps. 

Anne Hyland survived her husband and died in 1890.

Can anyone help with

ferretting out the date of Peter's first marriage to Anne and her surname
    a date for his second marriage
    Did she remain on in Kirwan Street Cottages?

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks Xotan/David

Moderator Note : Topic merged with one of the previous threads on the same family

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Monks/ Anne Hyland
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
1/ ferretting out the date of Peter's first marriage to Anne and her surname

2/ a date for his second marriage

To have a reasonable chance of locating, and verifying, the correct marriage I would think you would first need to know Anne's maiden name. Have you located baptism details for son Nicholas ?

I see only one marriage for a Peter Monks on the BMD index around the right time (i.e. between 1870 and 1880) - but there's no cross-match to anyone with the surname Hyland..

Name: Peter Monks
  Registration district: Dublin North
  Event type:    Marriage
  Year: 1874
  Volume : 2 / Page : 635

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane, and thanks for your response.  I have been into Irish Genealogy site and could not come up with anything.  I suspect that the parish in question may be St. Mary's - the pro cathedral.  I can't be sure as they seem to have moved around a bit.  Not surprising as he was establishing himself in the city, having moved in from Tubbergregan/Garristown.

Peter's first wife Anne is a mystery, although she is the family's ancestress.  We do not have her surname and I didn't gain anything from Irish Genealogy, which I find an infuriating site.  I don't believe I have ever recovered anything from it.  Anyway...  I've tried it again using parameters for Peter and the two Annes, but to no avail.  I am, however,  greatly interested as to where you found the reference to Peter Monks.  Obviously there is a hole in my information on research resources.  Also I am somewhat limited in that some sources require personal attendance - not possible from France.   I have, however, managed to get her date of death and age at that time from Glasnevin.  She was 51, and died on 9th October 1870.  That would give a year of birth of 1819, +/- 1 year.  I've been unable to come up with anything else.

The second wife has always been known as Anne Hyland.  Given the reference in my father's papers to her father's connection with the Gaiety, I wrote to the theatre, but never received a response, sadly.  But as I said, I think the Gaiety didn't open its doors until later, which would present a timeline problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.  If any other information can be gleaned I'd be glad to learn.

Xotan/David