Author Topic: Copies of wills held at Blandford  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Richard Spicer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Copies of wills held at Blandford
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I am new to Rootschat and my name is Richard Spicer, I live in Bedfordshire.
I would like to purchase copies of the wills of the Clavell family of Winfrith Newburgh which are held at Blandford.
How do I order copies of the wills and what do they cost.

Thank you
Richard Spicer

Researching the SPICER family of Winfrith Newburgh and Osmington.
The CLAVELL, SLADE and COX families of Winfrith Newburgh.
The CULL family of Corfe Castle and East Lulworth.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of wills held at Blandford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
To my knowledge as a Dorset researcher there are no wills held in Blandford. What dates are you referring to? If 1731 or earlier there is a potential problem in that the town was destroyed by fire in that year. However, if you contact the Dorset history centre they may be able to help. If your will is before 1731 DON'T LET THEM PUT YOU OFF! I obtained a will from them for a likely ancestor dated 1671 which had survived the fire, though it is badly singed along one side.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Richard Spicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger
From the Dorset Resources and Offers page.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,529132.0.html

A calendar of wills and administrations relating to the county of Dorset : proved in the Consistory court (Dorsetshire division) of the late diocese of Bristol, 1681-1792, and in the Archdeaconry court of Dorset, 1568-1792, and in the several peculiars, 1660-1799, all now preserved at the probate registry, Blandford.

The copies of the wills that I am after are Richard Clavell, 1669 and George Clavell, 1676. Both of Winfrith Newburgh. How do I order copies of these wills from Blandford.

Thanks
Richard

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Richard, Contact the Dorset Record Office, now known as the Dorset History Centre, that's where I got the one I referred to from. It is a microfilm job and took a little finding, so they might want to make a fairly hefty charge.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Richard Spicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Roger.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will try the Dorset History Centre.

Richard

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Richard, When I browsed through the wills looking for Luffman surname I saw at least one Spicer so you are at least on the right track.
Roger

Offline Richard Spicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Roger.

Richard

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
There are several Slade and Clavell Wills/Inventories, etc, for that parish on ancestry.co.uk amongst the new Dorset Probate digitised records.   There are Spicer records but they didn't come up under a search of Winfrith Newburgh.

The George Clavell 1676 one you mention would appear to be an Administration and is indexed under Glasell.  The Richard Clavell 1669 Will is indexed as Clabell ::)  Its a memorandum rather than a Will, signed by other people, so not dissimilar to an Administration.  Some of the Admons are indexed against the person who it was granted to incorrectly, rather than the person who was deceased.

It may be worth a subscription of some sort to get them from there rather than approaching the Dorset History Centre.  Not sure if a trial sub will include these, you may need a premium subscription but they do have monthly ones rather than a yearly (assuming you don't already have one for it).

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Richard Spicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 July 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola.
Thank you for your very helpful reply.
I have a full subscription for FindmyPast but if I need any information from the Ancestry site I sign up for their pay per view option.
I have managed to obtain copies of the wills of Brigit Clavell 1667 and William Clavell 1726 of Winfrith Newburgh, from Ancestry and they were very good.

Do you know if the copy of the administration of the will of George Clavell 1676 (Glasell ) and the memorandum of the will of Richard Clavell 1669 ( Clabell ) lists the beneficiaries of the wills. I am trying to identify family members, wife, children, grandchildren.
If they do have this information, I will subscribe to Ancestry pay per view and download the copies.

Richard