Author Topic: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield  (Read 16130 times)

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
As I say, the enumerator's route often seems incomprehensible when viewed with modern eyes.

Did you say that six families lived at Owlet in 1841 or was that just an example? Are the same family or families still around in 1851 and if so what place name is given?

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Stu - I think you've cracked it! 

Of the six families living at Owlet Hall in 1841, 3 were still neighbours in 1851 and living at Coldroyd. 

In 1841 Jonathan Howard and his family were living at Rawthorpe Lane.  He died in 1845, address Owlet Hall, and in 1851 his widow and children were living at Coldroyd.

Therefore I think that Owlet Hall was at Coldroyd, but what it was I have no idea!  I wonder if it could have been a part of the mill that they've recently pulled down?

I've also checked the descriptions of enumeration districts for Dalton and Kirkheaton in 1851 and can find no mention of Owlet Hall.

Sandra

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would say it was just a farm and a collection of cottages.
The properties seem to disappear around the late 1850's early 1860's so I would guess they were pulled down to make room for the railway which opened I think 1868.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

If it possible? have a trip to the Huddersfield (local culture studies) library or contact them for advice!

That Mill near Cold royd wasn't built on the 1854 map you mentioned! and the train line did go straight through Could royd lane as John says (1893 map).

There could be much more detailed early maps at the library than online maps

Dobby.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 09:55 BST (UK) »
I think that John is correct, Owlett Hall was about where the railway track passes through Coldroyd. I had got as far as deciding that Owlet Hall could only be the single cluster of buildings about halfway up Coldroyd on the map but hadn't got as far as the railway cutting through it.

The only earlier map which I know of is from about 1720 but I have had several attempts at looking for places near Coldroyd on this map but without success. It has field names but isn't very good for buildings, even the church is very difficult to find.
I have had a look at Jefferys map of 1775 but Owlet Hall isn't mentioned, the only local houses getting a mention are Dives House and Nether Hall.

The 1811 Enclosures may have a map but even if there is only a schedule it may give you some more information.

Stu

Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe worth a look

7. Bound Volume “L&Y Transcribed selections from company Committee minutes, 1848-
1876” (modern typed extracts)

http://www.lyrs.org.uk/lyr_resources/LYRS%20Archives%20Collection.pdf

click on the A4 paper tab in top left menu if it does not come up
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
I've been to the Local history library this morning and the only map they have is the 1854 which is available online.

Apparently Kirklees Archives has an 1822 map showing fields and buildings belonging to the Whitley Beaumont Estate.  I'll contact them and see if I can go in and have a look at it, plus anything else they may have on Owlet or Hullot Hall.

It could take some time, but I'll let you all know if I find anything.

Sandra

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
In Places of Kirkheaton and District by George Redmonds he calls it Hullot Hall but he only says that it was formerly a small house in the Cold Royd area.
He does however give a date of 1872 for a mention in a Kirklees Archive document KC249/6.

Can I just say that I remember the railway station, that really seems like the dim and distant past. Even the railway tracks have gone now :(

Stu

don't forget this

Offline tadorsett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 July 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Greetings all!

May a viewer from across the Pond weigh in on this?

I have read and re-read this thread, and I have a hunch that Owlet/Hullet Hall was the structure on the west side of the present Cold Royd Lane, immediately south of the former railroad grade.  It has been demolished and a new stone dwelling house erected in its stead.

My basis for this hunch arises from the lady's finding that the Howards were listed at Owlet Hall in 1841 and then Coldroyd in 1851. 

The old house most often referred to as "Coldroyd" (and now "Coldroyd Cottage" according to realty ads online) stands at the top of the present navigable part of Cold Royd Lane, on the east side.  It dates from no later than the XVIII. century (see Grade II listing per British Heritage), and it seems to have been a farmhouse originally.  My immigrant ancestor John Broadbent dwelt there until he came to USA in 1839, and his family (North-Broadbent-Kilner) seem to have occupied that location from an early date (maybe even XVI. century???) until around 1917.  These people were farmers as well as woollen manufacturers.  That eliminates that building as "Owlet Hall."

The place I surmise was either Owlet/Hullet Hall or its replacement seems to have been a newer structure, probably from the XIX. century, and it appears in the well-known postcard view showing a train crossing the bridge over Cold Royd Lane.  It seems plausible that, as these buildings were converted into multi-family dwellings, everything on the present Cold Royd Lane was enumerated as being in Coldroyd hamlet, and the Owlet/Hullet name disappeared.

Nearby, rather to the northwest, stands another ancestral hall, "Laverock," or "Laverock Hall"; but that seems to have a fairly well documented history under only that name. 

What think you who know these places much, much better than I?

From an Observer in the Antietam Country of Pennsylvania.
Broadbent, North, Kilner, Tolson, Richardson, Poole, Pollard, Castle, Stafford