Author Topic: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield  (Read 16142 times)

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owlet Hall, Dalton, Huddersfield
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 29 September 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
I agree that the old maps appear to show the hall near to the working mens club, now sadly gone, I spent many a night playing snooker in there.
However George Redmonds (RIP) the making of Huddersfield  and the Minters book Discovering old Huddersfield show the building over the road which also agrees with british listed buildings which says that the address is 175 to 179 Rawthorpe Lane.
Nether Hall was further on where the riding school is.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline ClaireWhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 30 September 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for checking. John Ellam was born in Manchester on 7 December 1837. His parents were William and Mary Ellam (nee Booth) and he had a brother Jabez and a sister Rachel Mary... Regards,
Claire

Offline ClaireWhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 30 September 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
In the linked book,(1993), page 83, I saw this description and a drawing of the building: https://huddersfieldhistory.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/discovering-old-huddersfield-v2.pdf
“Just past the church (St James Church) on the right hand side of the road stands Rawthorpe Hall. Partitioned into separate houses now, it shows few signs of antiquity but the first reference to it is found in the early sixteenth century when it was described as a timber framed building with a jettied first floor. The timber frame is still at the core of the building which was later clad in stone. On the right hand wing the projecting jetty may be seen, covered now in blue slates.”

Offline ClaireWhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 30 September 18 06:14 BST (UK) »
I agree that the old maps appear to show the hall near to the working mens club, now sadly gone, I spent many a night playing snooker in there.
However George Redmonds (RIP) the making of Huddersfield  and the Minters book Discovering old Huddersfield show the building over the road which also agrees with british listed buildings which says that the address is 175 to 179 Rawthorpe Lane.
Nether Hall was further on where the riding school is.

Stu

Yes, thanks. I looked on Google “street view” and the building at that address matches the drawing in the Minters’ book on page 83. That was pretty easy to track down.. Thanks again..

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 01 October 18 05:24 BST (UK) »
It does look like Oulet Hall on the parish register, but on the 1841 census it definitely says Owlet Hall, and there are six households living there. 

It isn't Nether Hall, John, as that is in District 8 of Kirkheaton in 1841, whereas Owlet Hall is in District 9, in between Cold Royd and Mill Lane.  From the 1854 map Mill Lane looks to be at the end of Crossley Lane so Owlet Hall must have been along there somewhere.

Sandra

Just a thought  ???

The 1841 census emunerators route would give places near Owlet Hall to pin point/narrow down an area of Dalton where to look for it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Just had a quick look at the John Ellam you asked about.
He doesn't seem to be related to my family but in the 1841 census it looks like his father is not from Lancashire so you would have to see if you can find out where he was born.
In the 1881 census, John living in Rawthorpe Lane near to Little Carr Green which is at the other end of Rawthorpe Lane from Owlet Hall.
If you look on a map and see the junction between Rawthorpe Lane, Carr Green Lane & Dalton Fold Road I would say your ancestors lived in the houses to left on the track that leads to Derwent Drive.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline ClaireWhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for taking a look.. I can’t easily find where William Ellam was born, but I’ll keep looking..

Thanks for showing me where they lived..

Best wishes,
Claire.

Offline PipW735

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 11 June 20 18:49 BST (UK) »

Hi TAD in USA,
I may have some valuable information regarding your search.
I am a latecomer to the site but live at Laverock and have been researching the families who have lived here before.
I have lots of info, photo's , grave locations etc but will make sure you're still interested before I post it all.
Speak soon,
Pip, Yorkshire

Offline PipW735

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 18 June 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Stu,
Sorry, I don't have the PM facility yet.
I haven't come across any Copley's or any of the names on your thread.
Have you used the Kirkheaton graveyard survey by Mr Horton?