Author Topic: Bouault family of Belgium  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Bouault family of Belgium
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya all

Can anyone help me with a family from Belgium?

I am looking for any information on a Raphael Bouault (c1883) and his wife Irma (c1883) who came to England as refugees around the time of WW1 and settled in Gloucestershire where Raphael died in 1934 and Irma in 1939

Raphael was a musician who attended the Belgium Conservatoir of Music but other than that we know very little about the family before they came to England and dont really know where to start looking

Thanx in advance

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bouault family of Belgium
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea from which part of Belgium they came?

By coincidence some Belgian refugees lived in my present house during WW1, the husband was a doctor from Bruges and he was captured by the Germans and worked in a field hospital.
 There is a street named after him in that town. His wife and family came to my town and lived in this house supported by the local Church, returning  to Belgium after the war.
Some present members of the congregation were trying to piece the story together and by another coincidence we had just returned to the U.K after living in Belgium for quite some years . I had brought with me the latest outdated telephone directory for friend`s addresses etc, it covered an extensive area and in it we found descendants living not in Bruges but another town. I must say it was not a common name so if you know their home town in Belgium I may be able to give a little help.     Viktoria.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Willow....I have found a family tree from a lady in UK
Bouault - 1902 -1910 Antwerpen , Belgium
this lady has posted her address and her e-mail address...her name is Pam Mercier ??
does this name mean anything to you ?
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
http://www.familienaam.be/
http://www.infobel.com/en/belgium/
 - there seem to be very few persons by this name.

"Conservatoire Royal de Musique de Bruxelles" would have been the place he attended, I think.
http://www.archive.org/stream/annuaire17frangoog#page/n521/mode/2up - there is a mention here (near top of right hand page) of Gabrielle Bouault of Malines, aged 10, there in 1891. Maybe a relative?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hiya Guys

Thanx for your help.

Vicktoria unfortunately we know very little about the family and where they came from in Belgium other than the fact that they had two children (*). Raphael also had an illegitimate child (*) who was brought up by Raphael and Irma who is the father of my friend whos tree I am tracing

Allan I haven't come across Pam Mercia maybe she is from a different branch? I will have to have a look at her tree but if there is a connection that will be brilliant

Jorose thank you for the websites I will have a look at them when I have five minutes Gabrielle sounds very interesting maybe they were a musically talented family

Thanx again

Willow x

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
If the children they had were born in Belgium, and they died in England, their birthplaces might be listed on their death certificates (after 1969 I think?).  I've just nixed the names of the kids as they could potentially still be living if they were b. 1920s say.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hiya

No they both died before 1969 and Paul died 1971 ::) just my luck

Willow x

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.conservatoire.be/acces.html
 - you could possibly contact the Conservatoire royal de Bruxelles directly to see if they have any records (this is the French side)

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/38260/supplements/2339/page.pdf
 - is this one of their sons, naturalising in the 1940s? 
(There could be very useful records linked to this but they may be difficult to access; if you are in touch with any of his children they would probably be the best ones to make any requests).

Also Irma's death seems to be on freebmd indexed as "Bouallt" with middle names "J J" - might help to get this record.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Yes that is one of the children. Both Rene and George went back to Belgium to fight during WW2 and I guess were naturalised when they returned.

I had found Irma's death registration along with Raphaels (both misspelt) so I might have to talk to my friend about ordering them

Willow x