Author Topic: 1st July 1916  (Read 3652 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1st July 1916
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
I agree with the comment about how visits to the war cemeteries affect school children. One thing that sticks in my mind is how after one visit a boy made a flippant remark and the rest of the group turned on him immediately and refused to speak to him for the next hour or so.  I think it is the sheer size of some of the cemeteries, plus the young age of those that gave their lives that really brings it home to them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
I was quite happy to see all the school children when we visited Thiepval.  What I didn't like was the - sorry to say American tourists - who were there just as another stop on their list of things to see on that particular day.  It was almost done that, tick the list, on to the next sightseeing place.

Lizzie

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
I have n't been abroad since the seventies and i have thiepval to go to. My granddads nephew is listed on the monument and he was in the machine gun corps, after being transferred from the south staffs. I must admit i had n't thought about 2016, i may go next year. Need to get a passport first. I have n't decided whether or not to go on one of those battlefield tours yet. One coach firm looks interesting.