Author Topic: Lincolnshire Archives  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Archives
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 July 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
You will need to book a table (at least).

You will need a CARN card or some ID to get one.

General info http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/residents/archives/visiting/bookings/74117.article
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline hwilson90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 July 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks :) So the link suggests it may be wise to preorder documents.
Lincolnshire -
Wilson, Cavill, Andrews, Smith

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 July 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
The second time included wills and it was nearly five weeks before they arrived.

I know five weeks doesn't seem much when your ancestor probably made the will at least 100 years ago, but I still don't know why it takes so long.  If there is  backlog then they need more staff.  If I order wills from Cheshire, which I've done a few times on line, they are usuallly with me within a week.

Lizzie

Nice to know that the 5-6 week time period remains ::)  I did try ticking the expediated copying box once fully prepared to pay the extra but it got ignored and I still had to wait about 6 weeks.  Haven't ordered any for a while but it looks now pretty standard.

Mind you I ordered some Wills online from Bucks RO in February and had to wait about 6 weeks for them since they "lost" a number of orders that weekend and waited for people to chase, advising that it could take an extra 4 weeks to be completed due to staff workload.  Thankfully they turned up 2.5 weeks after I chased which previously seems to have been the norm.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
You will need to book a table (at least).

You will need a CARN card or some ID to get one.

General info http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/residents/archives/visiting/bookings/74117.article

When we visited Lincolnshire a couple or so years ago and I contacted Lincs Archives, I was more or less told there was no point visiting the archives as the staff would be too busy to help out, so I ordered the document I wanted and was told it would be 14 weeks.  Fortunately, the one page (!) document arrived in about 8 weeks.  So different from Barrow.  I e-mailed them and they said just turn up, when I got there they were helping another newbie and then they showed me how to access the records.  With Winchester, I didn't even bother contacting them.  I just turned up showed them my CARN card which let me into the archives, went to the help desk from where a member of staff showed me how to use their filing system to access their hundreds of records, then she decided she might as well get out the documents I wanted so that next time I'll understand their system.  I repeat, if Lincs can't cope with the public, or get out records to people in less tha 6 weeks, they should employ extra staff.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Perhaps 6 weeks is now the expediated service? Your comment about Lincolnshire service Lizzie puts the new on line service in a new perspective, i.e. the online service is intended to reduce pressure at the archive freeing people to do additional work, nothing wrong with that except they seem to have set up the site "in house" to save a few £ no doubt, and in so doing may have defeated their objective.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
I would echo Redroger's comments, while I have no issue with things being done inhouse, it would have been better if they'd made the viewing window a bit larger ::) 

I suspect, like so many public services, that now there is even less chance of more staff being employed but Lincs has been like this for some years.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
it would have been better if they'd made the viewing window a bit larger

You can do that yourself by repeatedly pressing Ctrl + :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
You can do that yourself by repeatedly pressing Ctrl + :)

I hold my head in shame, an IT Pro who didn't read the instructions correctly ::)  Well, not really in to Busman's holidays which is why I'm still using Windows XP at home and not the newest version of everything. ;D

Thanks for that.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
While saying I have mastered the site would be a massive overstatement I find I can now use it, and strangely it works better in IE9 at 400% magnification than in Firefox. I still can't get used to calling up Alford baptisms and finding half way tyhrough another totally unrelated parish appearing. Like other respondents to this thread I have no objection to in house per se, it is simply that in the Gaderene rush to "save" many organizations defeat their own objective by producing an inferior product.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)