Author Topic: Wybong via Muswellbrook burial.  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wybong via Muswellbrook burial.
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Can anyone help with a burial place of my g g grandparents Edmund and Susannah Newton who both died in October 1855 on the property of William Cox Jnr at Wybong just outside Muswellbrook.

Edmund is said to have died "from cramp whilst sheep washing".   I have interpreted this as a heart attack as he was only 43 to 44 years of age.   His wife was already ill (probably from having too many children too close together) and died 18 days after her husband, leaving the 9 children orphaned.

There are no death certificates and the Church entry does not state a burial place.  Given the remoteness of the property and the lack of money I think it is possible they may have been buried on the property.  Can anyone advise if this was legally possible in those times.  William Cox was the local magistrate and may have had the authority for this to be done.  The Cox family also had a private cemetery on the property.  I am not familiar with the area but I would think Muswellbrook may have been the closest public cemetery.  However I cannot find any record of them being buried there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Andcarred (Queensland)
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wybong via Muswellbrook burial.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Andcarred
What is the church entry you have?

Is it possible they were buried in the Cox family cemetery, if they were employees there?

Do not know if it was 'legal' to bury people on private property in 1855, but it certainly happened.

It might be worthwhile contacting Newcastle FHS and/or Maitland FHG (both in the Hunter Valley) to see if they have any ideas about how to find who is buried in the Cox family cemetery. 

Can't see that there is a society in Merriwa or Muswellbrook, though I see there is one at Singleton.  If you go to http://www.nswactfhs.org/members/index.html which is the members page of NSW & ACT FHS umbrella organisation, you'll find contacts for Newcastle and Singleton.

The other thing would be to contact the local Court House at Muswellbrook to see if they hold records of area deaths and how you could go about getting information. 

Dawn M

Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
There is a cemetery at Wybong  :)

Muswellbrook Shire Council service cemeteries for Muswellbrook, Denman, Wybong and Sandy Hollow/Giants Creek.

There is also a FHS for Muswellbrook:

Muswellbrook Family History Society Inc.
PO Box 450
MUSWELLBROOK NSW 2333
Phone: 02 6543 1809

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
This website might have some useful information; - there's certainly a map which shows Wybong ... -

http://www.huntervalleygenealogy.com/

Fingers crossed!
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will follow up on them.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Andcarred, somewhere on that webpage (perhaps under "Webmistress"?) there are e-mail contact details, which might be useful if you can't find what you're looking for, or need help navigating the webpage.  Pat is the lady in charge, and she may have more ideas on how to locate the information you need :)

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson