Author Topic: Evans family of Gaerwen  (Read 8324 times)

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Evans family of Gaerwen
« on: Monday 04 July 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi to all on the Anglesey site, I hope someone will be able to throw some light on the street name of my Evans family as shown on the 1851 census for the village of Gaerwen in the parish of Llanfinhengal Escfiog.

The address was 1 Bogal Street, the house next door was Bogel and next to that is a place named Ty Capel. I recently went to Gaerwen and could not find any one to help place the area and the closest I have come up with personally is the garden centre after The Holland Arms which has Ty Capel in the address. Could this be the place? the area could be right as there was a colliery at Pente Brwe, and in the census details my Gt GT Grandfather and two of his sons show as colliers.

I have tried the Archive office at Llangefni for any info but to date have heard nothing from them, and with out old maps I cant get further.

In the 1851 census my Gt Gt Grandfather William Evans states he was a collier who was born in Llanddanial and his wife Eleanor states she is from Newborough but I dont have her maiden name. This is as much info I have on them as in later census they are not shown, so I am presuming they had passed away as during the 10 year period to the the next census my Gt Grandmother Catherine Evans their youngest child had come to Liverpool to be with her older brother Richard.

Any help anyone can give on the area or the family would be really appreciated Regards Liverbird
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evans family of Gaerwen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi possible marriage for William and Ellen:-

William Evans to Ellen Pritchard 21st May 1822 Llanfair Yng, Nghornwy ? Anglesey

And in case you do not have the 1841 for family:-

William Evans 35 occ Collier
Ellin 40
Richard 15 occ Collier
Owen 14 occ Collier
William 11
Zadrach 9
Mesach 9
Thomas 6
Evan 4
Residing at Gaerwen Bach, Llanfinangel, Anglesey
Census Ref HO107/1360/ 6/7/ 1
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
There where  coal mines on the marsh at Holland Arms not far from where the family lived and could easily walk accross the fields to work
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, Huge Thanks to both of you for your interest in my Evans family, Yes I do have the 1841 census for them and in the 10 years to the next census 5 son's are missing makes you wonder if it was illness or were they down the mines and suffered fatal accidents. I have to date not found any records for them regarding this.

The marriage you have found is a possibility and is worth checking on due to the date of it. Is the area mentioned close to Newborough or Llandanial ?

Along with your mail I had one from Llangefni explaining that all the records/maps are in store at the moment due to moving to a new building in October so hopefully I will get some results from them in time. Any ideas regarding the missing 5 sons you may have would be welcome. Thanks and Regards Liverbird
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverbird, I presume the brothers you have missing are Owen b 1826/7 William 1830/1 Zadrach 1833/4 Mesach 1833/4 and Thomas b 1835/6 ?

Whilst searching for Owen in 1851 etc I found one who was born in what I believe is the correct spelling of the place possibly William and Ellen married, it was Llanfairynghhornwy.

Hope you get the results you want re where they are/when they died etc.

Keyboard86

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Llanfair yn ghonwy is to the north west of Anglesey so the marriage is miles away from Gaerwen so they must of moved down to Gaerwen looking for work there was at one time a quarry taking out marble near the village
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply, but to help Liverbird out, is the possible marriage location near that of the bride or groom or both?
Keyboard86

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
Once again thank you both for your input. I honestly dont think that my Gt Gt Grandparents moved far on Anglesey away from the places they were born in. I was very surprised while I was there when driving around to realise that Llandanial, Newborough their birth places and Gaerwen were they lived almost form a triangle and although it would seem a distance in their day by foot or horse and cart it is really is no distance at all. So I am certain that they would have married in the area.

From what I know Richard their eldest son was the first to venture into Liverpool were he married for a second time and is shown on later census as a tiler probably a trade learned with the boom of the Welsh builders moving in, can you imagine from collier to tiler.

I wonder did the other sons move on to other colliery's or perhaps emigrate as a lot of the Welsh did. The searches go on but as I have said to date no B.M.D records Cheers Liverbird

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi been ages since I was able to add to my family and have found recently from my gt grandmothers Catherine Evans birth cert that her mother Ellin/Eleanor Evans was an Owen from Newborough before her marriage to William Evans. Now I am split between 2 topics Owen and Evans, any one have any thing on Owen history in Newborough please.