Author Topic: FLUERTY/FLUTEY - help needed please.  (Read 20419 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: FLUERTY/FLUTEY - help needed please.
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 06:15 BST (UK) »

majm are you sure of this? My understanding was that the parish register only contained the births deaths and marriage for that parish, which in this case was the Anglican parish of St Phillips, and only for services performed under the rites of the Church of England. Also in my understanding there were no changes to this during the time of Macquarie. In fact none of the very good and useful references that you quoted from the NSW state archives substantiate what you have said. I would have to disagree with the proposal that a 1818 (or 1816) marriage could be recorded in the parish register for St Phillips where the marriage was celebrated by a clergyman who was NOT an Anglican, and/ or where the marriage had been celebrated in VDL.

Yes, quite sure.    You will note that Gov Macquarie required all clergy to transmit records to the NSW Chaplains.  The General Orders were published in the Sydney Gazette which is digitised at Trove.    My statement re the records that St Philips holds is something that I have "known" basically ALL my life.   However, it is one of those lesser known items within family history circles.   I am pleased to note that the book I cited notes the fact that St Philips register is not just for  Anglican rites.  May I commend the several books by Mr Donohue to you.

Cheers,  JM

" It being essentially necessary that regular Returns should be transmitted annually to England of the Exact state of the Population of the Colony, and that regular Accounts for this Purpose should be kept in the different districts and Parishes throughout the whole of the territory, of all Births and Deaths. His Excellency the Governor accordingly directs that exact and correct registers shall in future be kept by the several Chaplains … of all Births and Deaths that may occur in their respective Parishes or Districts, transmitting regular Quarterly Returns thereof to the Principal Chaplain at Parramatta, from which he will make up a general one to be laid before the Governor …"

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-2/short-guide-2

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/628072  Sydney Gazette 22 Sept 1810.

" It being essentially, necessary that regular Returns should be transmitted annually to England of the exact State of the Population of the Colony ; and that regular Accounts for this purpose should be kept in the different Districts and Parishes throughout the whole of the Territory, of all Births   and Deaths, His Excellency the Governor accordingly directs, that exact and correct Registers shall in future be kept by the several Chaplains,   and by the Magistrates or Commandants (where  there are no Chaplains), of all Births and Deaths that may occur in their respective Parishes or Districts ; transmitting regular Quarterly Returns thereof to the Principal Chaplain at Parramatta ; from which he will make up a general one, to be laid  before the Governor"

Sayonara wrote " I know I am going to get cannon balls fired in my direction for this one, but here goes anyway.

Just because Mr Donohue wrote it in his book, does not make it so.

First for the reference to Gov Macquarie required all clergy to transmit records to the NSW Chaplains, the General Orders published in the Sydney Gazette and digitised at Trove. I cannot find the order, and I have searched in every way that I can think of. Can someone else please find them and post a link? As I would love to read them (assuming that the order does actually exist). "

...... "As concerns marriages, at the time this was no different to marriages in England where for Catholics since 1753 (until 1849) the only legally recognised marriage was a CofE one, and all Catholics (and those of other faiths as well) had to undertake a CofE marriage ceremony. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_Act_1753"   

May I gently suggest that the 1753 ACT was NOT statute law in the Colonies.  The C of E was NOT the "Established Church" in NSW and in fact there were other denominations transmitting records to the NSW Chaplains.   I confirm that Rev Cowper received transmitted records from the Wesleyan Congregations and that these are recorded in the St Philips registers, particularly Baptisms/Christenings circa 1815, 1816, 1817.   Some of my forebears Wesleyan services among those years....   The images of these are at the NSW SL.  Rev Cowper's hand : "transmitted record from the Wesleyans"

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline keinname

• I am sorry I am unable to receive notifications at the moment mailbox full
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
I confirm that Rev Cowper received transmitted records from the Wesleyan Congregations and that these are recorded in the St Philips registers, particularly Baptisms/Christenings circa 1815, 1816, 1817.   Some of my forebears Wesleyan services among those years....The images of these are at the NSW SL.  Rev Cowper's hand : "transmitted record from the Wesleyans"

I will humbly bow to your expertise in this area majm.  :)  And please note that this is genuine and contains NO hint of sarcasm, I don't want anyone to misconsrue. I am so glad that you have provided this example.

My last posts, however, have been about the Catholics, and Mr Donohue's comments about the Catholics. There were no Catholic Chaplains in NSW in 1810, and the references that you have provided, although extremely illuminating, do not apply to the Catholics for whom regulations were not passed until the arrival of Therry and Connolly in 1820 - and Therry and Connolly had to submit their quarterly returns direct to the Governor.

May I gently suggest that the 1753 ACT was NOT statute law in the Colonies.
I NEVER suggested that it was.

Offline Jacqui_2326

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
So are we all related or are you all just researchers?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui_2326,
Welcome to Rootschat  :)
Rootschat is free family history forum. Rootschatters love helping and enjoy a challenge, even if it is not our personal family history. Anyone can research their own family history with the generous assistance free from other Rootschatters, all their expertise and many resources prove invaluable. Hopefully the many things one learns can also help others along the way. Having new unbiasded perspectives, fresh eyes, local knowledge and resources is of great help in family history. Rootschatters have been known to demolish many 'brick walls'. Hope you join in and find Rootschat rewarding and fun.

Cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline amanda tiller

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 November 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just discovered that Charles is my 4th great grandfather but I don’t know anything about him. Colourful life he lived!