Author Topic: Hive of Industry  (Read 739 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Hive of Industry
« on: Monday 04 July 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
I chanced upon a census page when searching for distant cousins which struck me because of the sheer number of different occupations mentioned on it.

In the Islington area of Liverpool,
RG10/3787 ED6 FOL127 P35 :-

Iron Plater
   Broker
   Bootmaker (x 2)
   Gunsmith
   Laundress
   Tabacco Wrapper
   Dealer in Sponges (& Leathers)
   Engine driver
   Hair spinner
   Plasterer
   Hawker
   Curled Hair Spinner (x 2)
   Scholar
   Plumber & Glazier

That's TWELVE distinct adult occupations on one census page. Only 8 individuals have the occupation field empty.

Can anyone beat that? I expect there may be some institution pages with more, but I doubt that you'll find a residential page with that number.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline robpape

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hive of Industry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Can't beat that ..but I like the variety and detail that the descriptions convey.
My favourite is always scavenger....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.