Author Topic: Lochnan Margaret from kerry  (Read 4976 times)

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lochnan Margaret from kerry
« on: Tuesday 05 July 11 02:48 BST (UK) »
It is possible that my great great grandmother is Margaret Lochnan of Annabeg
b 1839

She Married a John Wagner had one daughter Mary Ann in Staten is America and the second in  Honora in Kilsarcon, Kerry
Her name is given as O'loughlin on her daughter Mary's wedding cert. but Lochnan on Honora's birth certificate. Does anyone have a family connection here
I can't find a marriage cert (but maybe it was overseas like mary's birth)

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lochnan Margaret from kerry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 04:08 BST (UK) »
What year was Mary Wagner born?

Did the family stay in Kerry or return to America.

Castlemcauliffe

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 04:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Lochnan was born in Kerry

She has met John Wagner( no idea if/when they married but she uses his name.) No idea where he's from.

1st child in Staten island, America, Mary Ann Wagner Was probably born between 73 and 75
Her wedding cert has her 17 in July 1890:Therfore born 73- her mother in law calls her 16 in her death inquest the same year, and the date on immigration has her 2 in 77( 15)

They return to Kerry have Honora  in July 1877, and arrive in NZ as immigrants Feb 78. They remained in NZ.

He was listed as sailmaker on wedding cert of daughter, but despite living in a port town was an agricultural labourer in NZ

I am really hoping to find a clue to where they got married to maybe find more about them or who the parents were. 

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
This is a bit tentative but looking at Honora's birth in 1877 - place was Kilsarcon -sponsors were a James Lochnan and Mary Lochnan. It is reasonable to assume that they were relatives of Mary Loughlin/Lochnan/Loughnan.
From the Kilsarcon parish records during that time scale there are entries of children born to James Lochnan/Loughlin and Margaret Horan. The surname Lochnan and Loughlin seems either to be used intechangeably or else frequent mistranscriptions.
The 1901 and 1911 census show the family of James Loughlin and Margaret his wife
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Carker/Kilsarkan__East/278789/
The parish records show James and Margaret Horan married in Castleisland in 28 Feb 1867  but doesn't give any information about parents. However if you were to get a copy of the marriage cert it would show James father's name and this might confirm to some extent that James and Mary were brother and sister and may help in further search for parents.
There is a civil registration marriage entry in the index for a James Loughnan in Tralee registration district 1867 vol 5 page 871 and the same reference is given for Margaret Horan. You can apply for a photocopy of the entry at www.groireland.ie
It may be a possible lead
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much annclare

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 11 17:28 BST (UK) »
As I have relatives from Kilsarcon I made inquiries about a Loughlin/ Loughnan family there today. It seems there are none of that surname but there is a Buckley family that is connected.
if you would like to get in contact try writng to Buckley family Kilsarcon Farranfore Co Kerry

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Kerry-jh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 11 01:31 BST (UK) »
Margaret Lochnan's parents were a David Lochnan and a Jane Connor. She was born on 28/1/1839.The name has been spelt as Lochnan, Lochnane, Laughlin, Loughlin and O' Loughlin down through the years and can be difficult to research.There is a record in the Tithe Applotments of about 1827, of a Bartholomew Loughnane of Annabeg sharing land with a John Lean.In the Griffith Valuation records of around 1850 a Bartholomew and Michael Loughlin shared the land. I think these were sons of the first Bartholomew who was married to Margaret Murphy.Would David have been another son which would account for him calling his daughter Margaret? I can trace Michael's descendants down to the present day, as I am connected to them from both my father's and mother's extended families and there is a member of the family  living in Anna at the moment.

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much!
The date of birth will help me trace the rest

Offline JHartnett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
 I hope I have the right Mgt O' loughlin/lochnan. She would have been mygreat granaunt and was born in Annabeg, Killeentierna, Kerry. The date of birth I have for her is 15/04/1849 which would be ten yrs later however this is not v unusual in Irish records for such a gap in yrs of birth. Her parents were Bartholomew loughlin(My great grandfather) and Hannnah Horan knockardtry Castleisland, and were married in this nearby parish of Castleisland on28/02/1848. Incidently Hannah's sister married David loughlin and settled in kilsarcon Currow also in the parish of Killeentierna. There are several different spellings of loughlin/lochnan which was mainly due to the persons writing and spelling skills at the time. Would love to share more info with you if you think this is the right person
JHartnett.