Author Topic: Darragh/ Hutchison  (Read 4491 times)

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Darragh/ Hutchison
« on: Tuesday 05 July 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for a townland for marriage of PATRICK DARRAGH andHELEN HUTCHISON somewhere in Derry. Also any other children besides  George ,Hugh and Thomas.   George and Thomas both married Broadley,s/Bradley,s All ended up in Glasgow at Various dates.
  Thanks  ab

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Darragh/ Hutchison
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 09:33 BST (UK) »
Have moved this post from Antrim Resources to Derry board. Are you looking for the residence of bride and groom on marriage certificate or the place the marriage took place? The only place their residences will show is on the actual certificate.

You haven't given any indication of date.
Helen is commonly used in Scotland while Ellen is the more common version of the name in Ireland. There was a marriage for a Patrick Darragh (1874 Co.Antrim) to Ellen ? . On the same page are Ellen Drain and Ellen Cranny so doesn't look like the correct marriage.

Also any other children besides  George ,Hugh and Thomas.   George and Thomas both married Broadley,s/Bradley,s
Any children of who? are these children of Patrick and Helen? siblings of Patrick? siblings of Helen?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Had to go back through your previous posts to find more details.

"Thomas Darroch (could be similar spelling such as darragh or darrock) and Susan Broadley... they had a child called Patrick in 1846 in Ireland."
"George Darragh/Darroch  born 1813 married to a Catherine Broadley in Ireland."
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,466655.10.html

Civil registration of Catholic marriages in Ireland began in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages). If they married in a Catholic ceremony before 1864 they only record will be from the church (if the records survive). If it was a registry office (or non-Catholic) marriage after 1845 it will be in the civil registration index. I checked there for Patrick Darragh (before I knew the dates were so early) and didn't find it.

Marriages usually take place in the bride's church but to see if there are any surviving records you need to know both the religion and location (parish if not actual townland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
  All your Darragh names appear in the townland of Mullan in the parish of Kilrea in the Griffiths Valuation of 1858, See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
The name is spelt DARRA in Griffiths but there are wills in the PRONI Wills Calendar of this family where the spelling is Darragh.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much. I am having a great time checking out names and maps where they might have lived, and it does look a good probability that these are my people. The children I mentioned  were Patrick and Helen,s.   
Patrick and Helen would have been born around 1800, as were having children 1820,s.  They were catholic, so may be near impossible finding records for them,especially their marriage. I will try to get in touch with all catholic churches in the area......you never know your luck.
Thanks again    ab

Just going over dates, George Darragh who I have previously stated as being born in 1813, was in fact born 1825 going by his death cert. from SP.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In case it may be helpful the 1831 census for the townland of Mullan gives the following Darragh heads of households:- Denis, Henry, John and Patrick.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I had not come accross these before.    cheers, ab