Author Topic: Berwickshire militia during Napoleonic war period  (Read 15794 times)

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berwickshire militia during Napoleonic war period
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 October 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
This site has some stray Scottish soldiers - it might help someone

https://sites.google.com/site/soldierssailersandstrangers/home

Offline Arthur-F

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 July 20 23:07 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to piece together the movements of the Berwickshire Militia during the Napoleonic war period (abt 1800-1815).  Wondering if anyone has successfully traced one of their Berwickshire militia men during this period and can tell me where (and when) he was stationed.  From my reading about Scottish militia, it appears they moved around the British Isles regularly, travelling as far away as Kent, Suffolk and Ireland.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Siroli.

Hi - My ancestors, John Stevenson of the Berwickshire Militia and his wife Sally Cuthbertson had a son born in Irvine in 1812. They were married in Kilmarnock, when John is descrbed only as a soldier. Hope that is a help to you. - Arthur

Offline CuanGibson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi CRJ45,

I have an ancestor, James Hastie, who was married in Prestonpans in Mar 1806 and he is a "Soldier with the Berwickshire Militia".
His daughter was born Mar 1807 and he is a "Private with the Berwickshire Militia".
Could you see if he appears on the muster roles and if so, any information about him would be appreciated.

Regards
Cuan Gibson

Hi, I have a list of postings for the Berwickshire Militia 1803/1813.
I also have copies of 2 muster rolls for 1803 and 1809 but they are very difficult to read.
If you want any specific information I will do my best to help.
[/quote]

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
William ALCORN from Fogo "fell at Waterloo aged 26 years" according to his gravestone - brother/uncle/son of my direct ancestors.

If anyone knows more about him or his unit (e.g. what part they would have played in the action), or shares interest in the Alcorns, then please say hi.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about Serjant Robert Todd of Berwickshire Militia, he died at Dunse in 1846 and the newspaper notice says 'serjeant-major of the Berwickshire Militia, aged 64.  He entered the Berwickshire Militia as serjeant when that regiment was first raised, and had held the rank of non-commissioned officer from that period up to the present time.'
I know his wife was arrested in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1813 and he had a daughter born in Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1811, the rest of his children seem to have been born in Coldstream. 
If anyone could provide me with more information I would be very grateful.
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Jim Iz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 June 22 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My ancestor George Gough (b 1773 Hampstead Marshall, Berkshire) was a sergeant in the Berwickshire Militia according to his daughter's baptismal record at Prestonpans in 1804. He later enlisted in the 25th Regt of Foot (KOSB).
(also a Sergeant as of 1814)

I am keen to discover any further information on his enlistment into the Militia and rise to rank of sergeant - I am aware that the Militia moved extensively throughout this island - did they ever come to Berkshire I wonder?

Many thanks for any help!

Offline Roryharrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 June 23 14:10 BST (UK) »
20 or so years ago I looked at the Berwickshire Militia papers which are in the National Archives in Kew. Somebody had very helpfully written an account of the militia's peregrinations; unfortunately I only have to hand the details after Robert Cunningham joined up in December 1803, but I think somewhere I might have the earlier stuff, and if I find anything I will pass it on.

Regiment had been in Dundee since 23rd November. In December it left Dundee & reached Queensferry on 1 January 1804 en route to Port Seton Barracks in Prestonpans, where it arrived 4th January. It stayed there until 2nd July 1805, when the HQ was moved to Musselburgh.

Thereafter the Regiment moved as follows:
9 June 1807 to Haddington
15 June 1808 to Dumfries
March 1809 Glasgow
May ordered to Colchester; reached Edinburgh 31 May; reached Colchester mid-August (Robert promoted to Captain 4th August)
16 September Woodbridge
28 June 1811 embarked at Walton Ferry for Leith
18 July Haddington
3 September Dunbar (perhaps married Mary McLaren at around this time?)
1 December Edinburgh
18 Feb 1812 ordered to Paisley arriving 21st
8 March Ayr Barracks
2 May Irvine
16 May Ayr; his son Robert Oliver born there
15 August Paisley
January 1813 Kilmarnock
20 April ordered to Newcastle arriving late May; detachments to Tynemouth & Carlisle
15 September Tynemouth
10 April 1814 Newcastle
The Regiment was disembodied 20th August at Coldstream but Robert remained as Paymaster at the rank of Ensign from 21 August.
On 10 July 1815 the Regiment was re-embodied at Coldstream and continued:
August Queensberry House Barracks, Edinburgh
November Berwick on Tweed
7 February 1816 disembodied at Coldstream; Robert away recruiting much of the year.
Militia reassembled for training at Coldstream in 1820, 21, 25, and 1831 (& continued).