Author Topic: Jersey marriage lookup 1841-44 DAVEY-LAINÉ  (Read 2423 times)

Offline qld-parrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jersey marriage lookup 1841-44 DAVEY-LAINÉ
« on: Friday 08 July 11 05:53 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for a marriage registration between 1841 and 1844, most likely on Jersey, between James DAVEY (born Lifton Devon around 1821) and Nancy Marguerite LAINÉ (born either Vale or St Sampsons on Guernsey around 1823, F=Samuel M=Rachel).

At the 1841 census James was [apparently on his own] in St Martin Jersey, and Nancy [with her parents and various siblings] in St Sampson Guernsey.

Their first child John E was born St Peter Jersey 1844. By 1849 [birth of the 2nd child Thomas L] and the 1851 census the family was on Alderney.

Assuming they did marry on Jersey, it is hard to know which parish is most likely? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
PARRETT: London, Melbourne

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey marriage lookup 1841-44 DAVEY-LAINÉ
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the online database (OPAC - Jersey Heritage Trust. www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/archive.html) but it doesn't appear that any marriage registers are online.

Hopefully, someone in Jersey will be able to visit the archives and look it up for you.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
I will be able to visit the archives for you if you want.

I will look at each parish register, do you want to know if they lived in Jersey for a relatively long time? Is it just the marriage?

I will be at the Jersey Archives all week.

The OPAC database online only gets updated every 3 months as they are running a new database at the Jersey Archives which they will then transfer to the internet.

You could contact the Jersey Archives to help you out, they find out when the marriage was registered but if you would like to find out more information in great depth then they will charge you research fees. Which is reseaonable.

Do you know if James DAVEY had a middle name? and do you know when they first came to the island?

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
I've found a James Davey on the 1851 Census in Jersey, but i am not sure if it is the right family. There's a couple of James Davey's on the 1851 Census but the one that stood out was:

James DAVEY, age 32, born in England, Occupation: Fisherman, Living in the parish of St. Martins.

There is no sign of a Nancy Marguerite Davey but there is a a Marguerite Davey listed as his wife aged 27, place of birth: British SUbject.

His children:

James William Davey, Son, Scholar, aged 6, born in St. Martins
Marguerite Davey, Daughter, aged 4, born in St. Martins
Charles R. Davey, Son, Aged 2, bron in St. Martins
Emily Davey, Daughter, 7 months old, born in St. Martins

There is know sign of them in the 1861 Census.

As i said i am not sure if this is the correct Davey family as there are quite a few.

There is no marriage of a James Davey and a Nancy Marguerite Laine on the OPAC (even the one at the archives which is updated every other month) i cant seem to find a marriage for them either in the Marriage index of St. Martins or St. Helier.

Offline qld-parrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this - and sorry for the lag in responding to your initial queries, as I have been travelling.

I wish James did have a middle name! But there is no evidence he did.

We do not know how long either James or Nancy may have lived on Jersey, except that he is there at the 1841 census [age 20], and she is on Guernsey. The first son John E was born on Jersey in about 1844, and they were definitely on Alderney by 1849 and the birth of their second son Thomas.

James & Nancy Davey, by then with a third son James as well as John and Thomas [with a bit of scrambling of names], appear in New Town on Alderney for the 1851 census. They moved (apparently permanently) to Guernsey by 1854 for the birth of fourth son George Frédéric, then Joselph Henry, Alfred Lainé and Lydia Hannah. Their last appearance anywhere in the census is on Guernsey in 1881.
PARRETT: London, Melbourne