Author Topic: Robert Hughes - What Happened to him?  (Read 938 times)

Offline Chester-Rod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Hughes - What Happened to him?
« on: Friday 08 July 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace the births, lives and deaths of all the brothers and sisters of my Grandfather William Hughes (Born Pentre Llanrhaeadr 8 Nov 1878, died Meliden 22 Mar 1923) apart from his brother Robert Hughes.  Robert was born in Pentre Llanrhaeadr on 11 June 1883.  He worked as a grocers assistant for my Grandfather who ran the Cash Stores in Meliden near Prestatyn.  When my Grandfather died Robert assisted my Grandmother (Hannah Jane b. 22 Dec 1877 d. 18 Dec 1948) but being a gambler and drinker he stole money from the Stores.  Hannah sold the stores to pay off debts and moved to the Meliden Post Office (that she and my Grandfather owned).  The church persuaded Hannah to take in Robert which she did.  He then proceeded to steal from the Post Office and was arrested.  There the trail goes cold.  I have not been able to find any documented evidence of his arrest and subsequent punishment and the only reference to him was in an obituary for another member of the family in 1949 that mentioned he was living in Widnes.  Can anyone help with information or where I can go from here?