Author Topic: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??  (Read 20400 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Snowy,We keep bumping into each other :)

Hi Amy

Now,if i`ve done my sums right & George married a Pricilla at a later date,then he was playing the field ::)

Baptised at Waldron
Thomas Evenden
18 Oct 1885!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Son of George & Pricilla

Hope all this info did`nt disturb your sleep,been there done that.

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega,

Sorry but I'm not sure where Priscilla comes into it?? I have George marrying Sarah Ann in 1883 and then Elizabeth sometime later?
I've had a look at the census for 1891 and that George Evenden was born in Framfield, also from a brief look at the records available it looks as though he is another George Evenden.  Looks like George is a family name so maybe could be from another branch?

Roy - Caroline is the only one who is named solely as Caroline Sherwood... Maybe if she thought that they would get in trouble regarding her age, she decided to hide his surname. It seems as though they Caroline and George stuck together though, plus if Caroline was born at George's parent's house then maybe thats a good sign that George is the dad?

I had a look for Caroline Kent/Sherwood and Sarah Ann but so far I havent found them anywhere during their 'missing' period of time. I'll keep looking...

Evenden/Haffenden - Sussex (Bromley, London from 1900)
Sharwood/Sherwood - Sussex (Eastbourne, Brighton)
Edwards - Downe, Penshurst, Southborough
Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
Re having "a look for Caroline Kent/Sherwood and Sarah Ann but so far I havent found them anywhere during their 'missing' period of time."
Keep looking for Sarah by all means, but I am fairly convinced the death of a Caroline Sherwood that I found in Brighton in 1868 was Sarah's mother.  Loosing her mother and then her father remarrying within the year, may be why a 14 year old Sarah walked out and manufactured a new life for herself.  Roy G

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Facing the same sort of problems you have encountered years ago when resources were not soo easily available  I drew a large breath!

Remember when doing genealogy you move backwards.

Look at your family tree again and DO NOT PRESUME ANYTHING!

Ensure you have BMD certs for your parents and grandparents if ou haven't already. They are critical to laying a good foundation.

What is in common on these certs? FORENAMES? PLACES? DATES?

LOOK at Haffendon?Evendon ? Might that have been a dialectical difference or the "ear" of a particular vicar?? Were the family literate? Did the difference occur during a particular decade for example or while they lived in a particular spot?

When you have checked everything look again! (I have one ancestor who married twice - both women named Elizabeth,  of the same age and for ages I just thought she had put the wrong village as her place of birth on the census!). Eventually I realised that folk didn't actually tell as many whoppers as we might assume it's just that we haven't picked up the clues!

Another example is of an illegitimate  male birth in 1908 ie Cyril XXXX(2nd forename is father's surname)  YYYY (mother's surname).
When Cyril joined the Army in 1922 he dropped his mother's surname YYYY and became Cyril XXXX and used that name at his 2 subsequent marrriages.
His children are all known as XXXX. Way back this was used to denote paternity  where bastardy claims were made or the "wife" wished to establish a land or property claim.

Good luck
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 July 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Amy

RE,my message 27.I`m sorry but i started to confused & sorry to George..

Will have looked in again in a few days

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 July 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Amy

Could this be Sarah Ann on the 1871 ?

A Lodger at Chesterfield Court,Brighton.

Sarah Ann CHERWOOD, 17 ,born Brighton.

I looked on FindMyPast for a birth between 1852 to 1855,nothing,only  for Sarah Ann SHERWOOD

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 July 11 08:28 BST (UK) »
That's a brilliant find by Omega, which looks to be the one you seek, but you may not like what I have to say next. 

Brighton's Chesterfield and Thomas Streets included a number of lodging houses that predominantly catered for vagrants and prostitutes.  It is such a delicate matter to discuss openly in this forum, but her early death and those of her later born children could have some connection to that way of life.  I would be inclined to check out the 1871 census to see the nature of employment of the people she was lodging with, and note the cause of death on her death certificate, if nothing else, to eliminate her from that line of inquiry.      Roy G

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 July 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy :)

1871 on FindMyPast very faint but Sarah Ann states she was a Charwoman along with 3 others.

I know Ladies of the night sometimes stated they were Dressmakers from what i have read.If they could`nt get Work then they had to get money from somewhere,Bless`em :(

omega

Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 July 11 08:59 BST (UK) »
Oh, I am not condemning ladies that turn to the service industries in order to survive, but it is interesting to find 3 char women (perhaps prospective ladies maids) at the same address.
Roy G