Author Topic: surnames and different spellings  (Read 4523 times)

Offline yosamitesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
surnames and different spellings
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
iv been tracing back the family maternal line to Eccleshall, Staffs with the surname Matthews - when you get further back in time IE 1600 - 1500 the parish records for what is a VERY VERY small village list the name with a few different psellings of the name IE

mathews
mathewes
mathewe

is this the same family or is it different? could it just be people who couldnt spell like wot i duz or genuinely different families?

iv found the full parish records for 1530ish to 1650ish i think it goes to - lists it word for word. fantastic book in original text. its in a library near me. cant borrow it tho.. pah!

any ideas? iv put 2 and 2 together on a few names but this will need to be proved at later date.
matthews - north east england
matthews - dudley, eccleshall staffs
conlin - middlesborough
sturdy - thornaby
pullman - stockton
brown - north east, salford

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: surnames and different spellings
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Elizabethan, and later, spelling was very erratic by twentieth-century standards.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
Spelling varied considerably in earlier times

With the low levels of literacy among the general population, they could not check & correct the spellings of their name in parish registers or other documents

Very often it was phonetic - the clerk wrote down what he heard & how he thought it might be spelled - so sometimes you need to think in the local accent to work out the spellings!

I would say that all the examples listed (and more!) could apply to the same family -- do the registers give any other clues such as where they lived?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline yosamitesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Elizabethan, and later, spelling was very erratic by twentieth-century standards.

Stan

yea you aint kidding - but is this common place to find very different ways of spelling but is the same family?
conlin - middlesborough
sturdy - thornaby
pullman - stockton

Offline yosamitesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Spelling varied considerably in earlier times

With the low levels of literacy among the general population, they could not check & correct the spellings of their name in parish registers or other documents

Very often it was phonetic - the clerk wrote down what he heard & how he thought it might be spelled - so sometimes you need to think in the local accent to work out the spellings!

I would say that all the examples listed (and more!) could apply to the same family -- do the registers give any other clues such as where they lived?

just from the parish records of Eccleshall, Staffs. quite comprehensive and old!
gotta go back at a later date to read the 2nd book.
conlin - middlesborough
sturdy - thornaby
pullman - stockton

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
One of mine Yosemite,McEwan,McOwan,McKeown,all the same family.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 11 20:08 BST (UK) »
There's really no way of knowing it's the same family from the various spellings of the surname. Spelling was very fluid and it's not uncommon to find such variations.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yosamitesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
so i'm going to need a different way of identifying them seperatley. i would of thought that the people iv found today would some of them be cousins. all same age range from 1580 - 1596 [16 persons!] i know some people dont watch tv but come on - shes gonna be very busy! why o why o why didnt them thar peeps put more info down! pah.. make my life easier it would  ;D
conlin - middlesborough
sturdy - thornaby
pullman - stockton

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Still not that unusual now.

My mothers' surname was Earl - she occassionally added an E   'Earle'    'cos she thought it looked posher!!!!!  And I am certain her father and brother also did the same.

I also have Costa's in my family and the spelling varied from family members.  Coster, Costa, Costar et al

Surname spelling regularity has only been standardised since around 1900 and then it can still be hit and miss.  Several reasons, enumerator in particular areas spelt names in different ways.  Enumerator wrote names down phonetically.  Enumerator was local and could not understand strong accents from people who were not local.  Think of an enumerator in London and us Londoners and our dropped aitches.  'Arris or Harris etc.,

And names like my maiden name such as Simpson - pronounced Simson with a silent P.

You could go on forever. 

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)