Author Topic: Belfast Mental Hospital  (Read 8850 times)

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast Mental Hospital
« on: Sunday 10 July 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have discovered an ancestor who died at Belfast Mental Hospital in November 1938.  Does anyone know where this hospital is, or was, and its current address?  Perhaps it's been taken over by a Trust or similar organisation.  I'd like to write to them to find out if any records exist for my ancestor.

Many thanks for any help
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Mental Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:41 BST (UK) »
Have you googled.

Most likely place for records will be with either local history archives or with local NHS.

But I would think that as this is as recent as 1938, you would probably need to be Next of Kin to be able to see these records.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
PRONI have records but there would be restricted access.
"eHOS/28/1/1/1-20 20 minute books of Belfast District Lunatic Asylum, 1829-1949. All of the records of Belfast District Lunatic Asylum are subject to a 30 year closure, although sensitive records may be subject to extended closure. See Public Record Office Staff for details. The minute books dating from 1829-1921 are open to the public." See here for more details-
http://irishgenealogy.net/cp/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1803

"A lunatic asylum was built in Belfast in 1829."
http://www.localhistories.org/belfast.html

"Erected near the old site of the Belfast Lunatic Asylum, the Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road (1900)..."
http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/article.aspx?art_id=681

In 1911 census there is District Lunatic Asylum, Falls Rd.

If you google Belfast Lunatic Asylum there is lots of general information on line.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
To Plummiegirl and Aghadowey

Many thanks indeed for the very helpful information  about the Mental Hospital and the procedures that may be involved for obtaining records.  I shall look at the websites mentioned by Aghadowey in the first instance.

Thanks for your trouble
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Jolene1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you get any information about your ancestor?  I too had one that died in the Belfast Mental Hospital in 1938 and would love more information.

Thanks

Black, Dunlop, Pritchard, Todd, Kelso, Hamilton, McGarry (all Belfast based)

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jolene

The only information I received about my ancestor who died at the Mental Hospital in 1938 was sent to me in a private message by a Rootschat member who had seen my original query and who was also a descendant of the same person.  I did not obtain any records etc from the hospital as I am not a direct next of kin and did not think they would provide me with anything.  I did look at the online links but couldn't get into the 'irishgenealogy.net' one.  Sorry not to be of more help.

Regards
Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham