Author Topic: Finding Thomas Boyes  (Read 1324 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Finding Thomas Boyes
« on: Monday 11 July 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
I've got the birth certificate of William Boyes, 8 Aug 1857 in Barton le Street near Malton, Yorkshire.  His mother is Ann formerly Tranmoor (actually Tranmer) and his father is Thomas Boyes.  Thomas was a shepherd, a fact that is born out by the 1861 census which shows Ann born c.1831 in Thixendale and described as a shepherd's wife.  But Thomas isn't there.  And I can't find him, or the family, on any other census.  There's a marriage in 1858, but I haven't enough to go on to find Thomas in 1851 or 1841.  It seems that Ann was illegitimate, and she's a farm servant on earlier censuses.

There are two other children on the 1861 - Mary T. b 1859 and Hannah V. b 1861.  I can't find them later either.

Help, please  ::)

PS Got them in 1881 - Thomas had changed his job.  He's born 1832 in Norton.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Thomas Boyes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1871:  William has left home and working as a servant at The Grange, Sheriff Hutton with Cornborough; birthplace looks like Barton le Street.

RG10    4827   108   11

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Luapdog

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 19 14:14 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit odd that I live in Barton Le Street and just a few yards from the graveyard here.It seems that most Tranmers in North Yorkshire settled in the Hackness area and after c.1650. My theory is that they were religious people on the way to America, shipwrecked off the Scarborough coast and scrambled ashore...but they would have been foreigners . They would not speak English, but if religious would have Latin. "Trans"  and "mar" are Latin words meaning across the sea (or foreigners) hence they might have been referred to as Tranmares?It's a theory but accounts for the fact that you cannot get back to any reference round here before 1650. Another is that Thomas Cranmer was a relative. In Gothic medieval script the "C" looking much like a "T".Who knows?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm a bit confused.
The only marriage I can see for a Thomas Boyes and Ann Tranmer is in 25 Nov 1856 at Kirkby UnderDale
,it gives his father as William Boyes a farm servant and hers as William also a farm servant.Although the latter could be a lie.Both fathers with the same name and occupation seems a bit of a coincidence.They are 27 and 26.

So this looks like him in 1851 at Malton  Town St
William Boyes 52 farm lab Middleton
Bethia   47  New Malton
Thomas 23 farm lab Old Malton
Elizabeth 16  same
Jane 13
William 11

Am I totally off track?

ps Daughter Hannah dies at Malton June 1865

Ciderdrinker

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 February 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you noticed that the original post was made in 2011?

Ah I see that Suttontrust is still active so hopefully will respond in due course.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire