Author Topic: Lookup Lidderdale in Girthon Kirkyard  (Read 4708 times)

Offline abigailg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Lidderdale in Girthon Kirkyard
« on: Monday 11 July 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

Would anyone be able to help me by looking up a gravestone in Girthon Kirkyard?

I'm looking for David Lidderdale, married to Margaret (or possibly Charlotte) Jameson. I don't have birth or death years, but their youngest child was born in 1853 so some time after that. I believe they are buried at Girthon Kirk.

Many thanks
AbigailG

Offline SophieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Lidderdale in Girthon Kirkyard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello abigailg

I am part of your Lidderdale family tree. If you haven't seen it already www.lidderdale.com details the people you are talking about. They are referenced under Kirkcudbright 3.
My great grandmother was a daughter of Peter Hunter Lidderdale. Peter Hunter Lidderdale was a brother of the Lidderdale you are researching.

Regards SophieM

Offline abigailg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie

Thanks for your reply. I've already seen the lidderdale.com website and it does have a lot of information.

I'm actually researching Peter Hunter Lidderdale's father David. Peter's brother John was my great great grandfather. John's son (also David, my great grandfather) did a lot of family research, but unfortunately didn't note down much information on his own grandfather, and I can't connect David into the wider (and older) Lidderdale tree. David's date of birth is what I need, and the records I can find only imply it (census).

I'm happy to share what I have if you're interested.

Abigail

Offline SophieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abigail
I have found what we were looking for. If you look at www.kirkyards.co.uk there are transcribed lists of the gravestones in Girthon churchyard.
David Lidderdale and Charlotte are listed.  I will let you have a look at the detail yourself. If the info is accurate it would make David Lidderdales birthdate as 1813. They have not yet transcribed Minnigaff headstones,I think it would be useful to see them as that was where he was supposed to be born. Are you anywhere near the borders? I am in North Cumbria so not to far for me to go.

Regards
Sophie

Offline abigailg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant! Thank you Sophie. There's loads of information on that headstone, which fills in various bits of the tree.
I'm in Kent unfortunately, so a very long way from all of these places! The Minigaff headstones might hold some answers, and if you're ever in the area please do have a look. It would be great to go back further than David and Charlotte if possible.
I'll send you the tree that I have so far, which has Peter Hunter on it.
Regards
Abigail