Author Topic: Seven Kings WWII Air Raid/Fire Wardens Log  (Read 24668 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seven Kings WWII Air Raid/Fire Wardens Log
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
I've come across an interesting document while sorting through my late mothers effects.

It a handwritten (by my grandfather) Air or Fire Wardens logbook for Spencer Road, Chester Road, Pembroke Road and St. Albans Road in Seven Kings (near Ilford) for 1939-41 (approx) and is effectively a mini census for the area. It contains lists of all houses and residents (including temporary), age (few), next of kin (often serving in the forces with regt. and number) and where the residents took shelter (e.g. back room in line with window near outside lavatory). There are also a few WD documents relating to equipment issue and costs (steel helmets 8/6 each), the nature of poison gas and treatment of/protection from gas attacks.

I will probably soon offer the document to the Essex Records Office in Chelmsford (would they be interested?), but in the meantime if anyone on this forum would like me to perform a lookup on a name or address I would be more than happy to do so.

Offline mag56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Kings WWII Air Raid/Fire Wardens Log
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

My gt grandfather lived at 12 Chester Road until he died in 1951 aged 93, I would be interested in any information about that address you might have, it sounds an interesting document.

Many thanks

Lynne

Offline mag56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to say his name Thomas Dearman

Lynne

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Although offering them to the Essex Records in Chelmsford is a good idea why not offer them firstly to the local studies and Archive Dept at Ilford Library who I feel can make better use of them in their family history/local studies area, if they do not want them then try the ERO at Chelmsford.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

My gt grandfather lived at 12 Chester Road until he died in 1951 aged 93, I would be interested in any information about that address you might have, it sounds an interesting document.

Many thanks

Lynne

Lynne,
Occupants of 12 Chester Road: Mr. & Mrs. Wheal, Mr. Dearman. Next of kin: M Wheal, 132 Chester Road.  No ages or initials I'm afraid.
Maybe Mr Dearman was a lodger?

My father and his parents and sisters lived at no 8 (the Farmers). My aunt married George Payne from No 10.
Small world!
Regards,
Steve.

Offline mag56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying - Thomas's daughter Amelia was married to Samuel Wheal, the house definately belonged to Thomas, small world they lived so close to your relatives, how long were they there do you know?  They must have known each other!

Lynne

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Lynne,
Another Deaman family at no 88 Chester Road:

Mrs. S Dearman, Miss Janet (child 27m), Master Stephen (child 2m). Next of kin was G.M.S. Alf Frank Oceanman, 21st Army Group, R.H.G. P1/2 Oxon. Their shelter was "back under window".
Steve.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying - Thomas's daughter Amelia was married to Samuel Wheal, the house definately belonged to Thomas, small world they lived so close to your relatives, how long were they there do you know?  They must have known each other!

Lynne

My family were there from the 1900s. My other grandparents, the Kents, lived at no 81 Chester Road.

Offline mag56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

My grandfather Redvers Dearman (son of Thomas Dearman) was born in Chester Road in 1901 and Thomas was there until he died in 1955, so they were neighbours all that time!!!

I think the other Dearmans at 88 Chester Road must be Alfred Frank Dearman (my gt uncle) his wife Sarah and their children Stephen and Janet.

What a coincidence this is!

Lynne