Author Topic: Groom,Rathbone,Tollner and Rose family of Natal  (Read 10077 times)

Offline tutissimus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Groom,Rathbone,Tollner and Rose family of Natal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi  derek,
          Here is what Dug sent me.

Phill

Offline tutissimus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi derek,
                 here is my maternal Grandfather, Wm Hy Miller aka jack for some reason.

Phill

Offline tutissimus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
and again

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 February 14 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil I found this which might be the marriage of WH Miller in 1919 which would make his birth date 1872 and Jim would have been born in 1868. Sounds about right. Click on the link https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11596-169994-95?cc=2063749&wc=M9WM-PR1:n1689800448 and here is some more info.

William Henry Miller b 1872 was married firstly to Catherine Causier in England and then absconded to join the Army and eventually settling in South Africa. Not sure if he got divorced from his first wife? He died in 1947 aged 75. As can be seen above in the link he then married Wilhelmina Hansina Mathilda Anderson born 1891.

DEPOT     NAB  SOURCE    MSCE  TYPE      LEER   VOLUME_NO 00                                                                   
SYSTEM    01   REFERENCE 2443/1947   PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MILLER, WILLIAM HENRY. S/SP MILLER, WILHELMINA  HANSINA MATHILDA.  STARTING  19470000                                                             
ENDING    19480000.

And here is your grandfather and his wife's estate notices.

DEPOT     NAB  SOURCE    MSCE  TYPE      LEER  SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 101/1969    PART      1 DESCRIPTION          MILLER, WILLIAM HENRY. BORN IN LADYSMITH, NATAL. S SP MILLER,         
MILDRED BEATRICE SUSAN. DECEASED ESTATE. STARTING  19690000                                                             
ENDING    19690000.

DEPOT     NAB   SOURCE    MSCE  TYPE      LEER   SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1353/1969    PART      1   DESCRIPTION          MILLER, MILDRED BEATRICE SUSAN. (BORN CRICKMORE). BORN IN DURBAN,     
NATAL. PRSP MILLER, WILLIAM HENRY. ESTATE NO. 101/1969. DECEASED     ESTATE.   STARTING  19690000  ENDING    19700000.

It is a shame I never found this info before as I was in Natal and could have gone to the archives to look up these notices.

I found the memorial plaque for WH Miller and his wife Mildred located at Stellawood cemetery in Durban.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Sue Wessels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
re James Meredith Miller - 1868 - 1947, his daughter, Maude Miller, was married to a relative of mine, Laurence Bingle Murrell.  They had a child together, Laurence Meredith Miller.  Maude and Laurence split up at some stage and we presume were divorced.  Does anyone know when she died?

I have some photos of Jim Meredith Miller with his grandson and my grandmother standing next to his houseboat, Pumula.
 Sue Wessels

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue if you make 2 more posts on this group then I can send you a personal message with some info.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Sue Wessels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 16 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Photo of James Meredith Miller next to his houseboat with his grandson, Laurence Meredith Murrell and my grandmother, Oliver Nellie Murrell (Butler) who was married to Laurence's uncle, Edwin Charles Murrell.

Offline Sue Wessels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 March 16 04:25 GMT (UK) »
A photograph of Jim Meredith Miller's houseboat, Pumula.  Sue Wessels

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Just been reading through the thread.

Griqualand West would be in the modern Northern Cape so I would assume that he died in that area.

The Estate File if there is one would possibly have gone to Kimberley.

Did you find his name on that list?  Because my past experience with those entries is that the search picks out the individual names unless you have limited the search specifically, and so he may not be there.

Map at this link showing the old boundaries from the era

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/The_Cape_Colony_-_1878.jpg

I use it a lot ....

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)