Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41039 times)

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Glen
 According to my records picture was taken @ Whitworth Mill near Wellingborough around Summer of 1964 his butty was Quail @ this time, they would have been breasted up with John Henry & Rose Meese on Dipper & Argo also with them where Ron & Elizabeth Green on Algate & Brighton. Meese & Green are also related within the family tree & this would have been one of the rare times family where able to get together & catch up with family news.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
sorry was ment to say brentford not brentfrom sorry about that silly me lol  ;D

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thats ok Kirsty i knew what you where getting at as a matter of added intrest for you ,boatmen had their own dialect & unless like myself you had been brought up with it you would not have understood what they where saying Brentford to them sounds like Brandford.
 Jeannette

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Kirsty i sent you another message but it seems to have dissapeared with the fairys so will try again i have records for a couple of Walker children baptised on the canal @ brentford send me a personal message with your phone number or e mail address & i will let you have them. Coal would have been loaded @ Brentford & then delivered to places from there Croxley Mills was one of the many .Hambridge are distant related in my tree through Marrige via the Jackson family.As i tell every one who contacts me ref info into Canal familys
,Most canal people where their own community & hardly ever mixed with people off the bank so as you search further into your tree you will discover most of the canal family names related in one way or another. you dont say what area you live in.I live about 6 miles from Brentford & still have connections with a few canal familys who settled in that area. do you know exactly where your grandparents married?

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
hi jane i have tryed send you the message but it would not aloud me my nan and grandad marred in brentford and my mum was baptised in brentford i use to live in brentford when i was a kid but now live in hanworth middlesex my email is

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 July 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
There was a William Hambridge, Canal Barge owner, but not operating in the Braunston area (at least in 1893). He is mentioned in a Court case -

Jackson's Oxford Journal, May 20, 1893

UNFOUNDED  CHARGE - John Clawley, of Summertown, was summoned by William Hambridge, canal barge owner, of Thrupp......

The newspaper item in reporting the Court case also mentions William's son "Henry".

regards

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 July 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
hi do you no what the court case of william hambridge would of been about and was he marred to sarah ann thompson at the time and do you no where the thompson family come from sarah ann thompson is my great nan

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 July 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Kirsty did your Thompsons live in Darvin road Ealing around 1900 if so I have a couple of their Baptism records as well will send you an e/mail.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 July 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Have now checked out the William Hambridge in the Court case and have found him on the 1901 and 1911 Census. He is NOT the William Hambridge you are looking for.

regards