Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41236 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
The Hambridge name is well known to ex canal working families who worked the Grand Union Canal, it's possible that they delivered coal to the "jam 'ole" as it was known, you can find some stuff by googling.

Also worth looking at the historic boat owners site, though they seem to have launched a new site and at the moment sa lot of content seems to be on the old site 9such as a list of boats and their current owners/locations) awaiting transfer
http://www.hnboc.org.uk/

Also worth making enquiries to British Waterways as they hold a substantial archive of images and related documents as well as running the canal museum as Braunston.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 July 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
As to prev post you only have to google Hambridge canal family or Hambridge canal boatman &  you will gain untold info on this family its also worth getting the book "The Cathedral of the Canals"this also has mentions of said family the book is £5 & can be purched from places in Braunston or £6 with P&P from The friends of All Saints Braunston  11,Cross Lane Braunston Northants NN117HH.
Jeannette

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 July 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Glen in Tinsle kni
 I noticed you have a web page, I have been reserching & studying canal geneology for over 30 years now mostly Grand union & Oxford canal people as thats where most of my family of working boatmen traveled working for morton & claton & then sons, Manny Smith,Barlows,G.U.C.C. company & lastly Willow wren & a few on tar boats & the lime juice run.I live not far from Bulls Bridge where the Jam ole run ends & have turned up to show support every time this has happened since Tim Cougland of Braunston marina re Introduced it. I work on education programs & strong in keeping the boatmans way of life & traditions alive for our future generations,have built up files of over 80 canal familys.Attend most of the canal gatherings every year from Braunston down to Little Venice.Every year I gather Family members together @ Braunston Historic Show,attatched photo has members from the Harrison,Carter,Holt,Bradshaw,Hollis,Humphries,Bannister,Nixon,Monk.all part of my family tree

Moderator's Comment: photograph of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
Long ago I used to live with a member of the Ward family, one of the families who worked for GUCCo and latterly BW, that family link into the Bray family and hence the boat Raymond etc.

The last water carried load into Whitworths at Wellingboro went via a BW boat with a Ward at the helm, also several of the small books such as "Epilogue" have members of the Ward and Hambridge family photographed in them, probably "Women and Children of the Cut" too, it's definatley a Ward on the cover of that one.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 July 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
Mark Harrison & his second wife dolly ward where willow wrens Mark was my Grandads Brother.
Also Robert Longdons book "A Canal People" has lots of photos of all the said mentioned canal familys. The gentleman second left in my photo(George) is the same person on page 95. 94 is his mother one of Grandads sisters. 100 is his first wife.98 is Anne Harrison. this is a Great book for anyone who is reserching Canal People.
 Jeannette

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 July 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Mark Harrison delivering wheat to Wellingbrough

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 July 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
I think the butty pictured (or part of it) still survives somewhere. I'd guess the picture must be date anywhere from the late 30's through to the early 1950's?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 July 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Lol

Just found the motor and butty listed on HNBOC, built mid 30's and the pair (motor should be Star) both survive in some form. Star was converted and renamed "Water Rambler"and then used as a BWB hire boat in the late 1950's.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
my grandad joseph samuel hambridge family use to deliver coal to brentfrom but im not sure where he's family would pick the coal up from and not only that my nan hannah walker her mother ada allen and father george walker use to deliver coal they had 3 girls that i no of called anut doll and anut lil and the other name i dont no of and they lived in brentford middlesex and not only that i found out that my nans little sister anut lil died at the age of 99 a few weeks ago but i never really met her but what i do no is that my nan hannah walker who later became hannah hambridge was born in lancashier near blackpool then later marred my grandad in brentford and had there children there i have never met any of my grandad side of the family and that is why i am doing this search to find out what happen to them when they worked on the boats my mum once told me that she remeber her grandad william hambridge lived in ealing and that is all she rember as she was a child herself.