Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41248 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #135 on: Monday 05 November 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
OK apologies, another Hambridge married a Thompson and Grace was born in Brentford 1915@
Keyboard86
ok well I wouldn't be surprised because my great great grandfather thomas married a Emma walker then as you no he had a son called William Hambridge who married a Sarah Ann thampson then they had a son my grandad Joseph Samuel Hambridge who married my nan Hannah Walker my grandad Joseph Samuel Hambridge was born 20/4/1915 and my family was canal people

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
HI again, I see on one of your latest posts you have put that you have knowledge of a "Fred" in the family of William/Sarah A Hambridge, as the 1939 and Electoral registers on at least two occasions show a WilFRED in the household, who married a Lilian May Endean living at 29, Boston Park Road, I would suggest Wilfred is Fred?
Wilfred & Lilian had 3 children 1 in St Austell 1947 and 2 in Ealing 1948/1951
Keyboard86

PS  Mrs Lillian May Hambridge born 3rd May 1917 died 5th August 2009 Brentford aged 92 in 2002 she is living with one of her daughters in Acacia Avenue
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
OK apologies, another Hambridge married a Thompson and Grace was born in Brentford 1915!
Keyboard86

Their were two boys born 1943 and 1947 to Olive and her husband

Kirsty will you please stop posting the name of the husband of Olive it is not allowed, I will ask the Moderator to remove it.
well after researching myself on myheritage olive rose burlow who was born on 21/2/1918 died on march 2006 Hounslow Middlesex

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
HI again, I see on one of your latest posts you have put that you have knowledge of a "Fred" in the family of William/Sarah A Hambridge, as the 1939 and Electoral registers on at least two occasions show a WilFRED in the household, who married a Lilian May Endean living at 29, Boston Park Road, I would suggest Wilfred is Fred?
Keyboard86

PS  Mrs Lillian May Hambridge born 3rd May 1917 died 5th August 2009 Brentford aged 92 in 2002 she is living with one of her daughters in Acacia Avenue

Hi again, in case you never spotted it, will you answer this please.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Keyboard86

Hi again, in case you never spotted it, will you answer this please.
Keyboard86
hi there do you no the names of lillian may hambridge children thanks

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 24 November 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
We can't name them as they may still be alive but you can search for their names here

www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 18 April 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
I had a researcher write to me today and I would like to find out what happened to the boat of William Hambridge I have copied and pasted what I been sent today by the researcher so if anyone has any information about what happened to my great granddad William hambridge boat I would love to find out. Thank you.

William Hambridge, living on canal boat called “Providence”, at Punch Bowl Wharf, Tuttle Hill, Nuneaton. His occupation is a master of a canal boat

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

I have been looking for information about the Canal Boat named Providence, I found some information in the old newspaper columns, also a few links on the www, there are some photos in some of the stories about canal boat peoples, I found lots about the family Hambridge, if you go on the newspaper archives and search through what I have found much information is contained within the full articles that may assist you in your research, I realise that you may already know almost everything, I have also searched hard for other people who in the future may use what I have found as a start, good luck with your research, I do hope you find what you are looking for, the things that I have found are only things that I think may help, i have had a good time learning about the Canal People, very interesting indeed, thank you for putting up your request. Punch Bowl Wharf, Tuttle Hill, Nuneaton. well that seems to be an old public house near a bridge where the boats would pull in, some great history to, i like to get a feel for everything, i know its not everyones way, and some just want plain facts, i hope i have helped you in evan a small way

Large article below with William Hambridge talking about his life and hopes for the future, and maybe a photo connected, there are more photos on the other stories that tell of the Canal history times, well worth a look, a very interesting subject for an outsider like me, everything below just extracts from articles that contain much more information

Saturday 14 September 1963
  Coventry Evening Telegraph
  Warwickshire.......   small extract

RETIRING AFTER 49 YEARS ON NARROW BOATS
NARROW BOAT captain, Mr. William Harnbridge,. who has spent most of his years on the canals and waterways of England, he has docked for the last time—at Hawkesbury Stop, Longford. Now Mr. Hambridge

Thursday 26 July 1951
  Warwickshire 

COUNCIL WILL BUY AN INN
Subject to the approval of the county authority, Nuneaton Borough Council are to purchase the Old Punch Bowl Inn at Tuttle Hill. near Nuneaton, for industrial purposes

Saturday 26 February 1949
  The Sphere
  London 

THE WATER GIPSIES OF JAPAN: The Life of the Bargees on Nippon's Great Rivers and Canals
 barges commonly seen in Japanese rivers and canals are capable of taking on cargoes up to 200 tons. The early Japanese barge-men were neatly dressed in white pants, shirt and tabi (Japanese socks), and with their boats often gaily decorated with red and white 

Saturday 01 February 1947
  The Sphere
 London

THE FIGHT TO SAVE ENGLAND'S CANALS: Sir Alan Herbert, M.P., Champions the Inland Waterways at a Moment of Crisis
... MONKEY BOATS ON A PICTURESQUE STRETCH OF THE OXFORD CANAL AT BANBURY The barges Friendship and Forget- me-not, typical of the craft which Sir Alan Herbert described in The Water Gipsies, with their bows mirrored in the placid waters of the canal CELEBRATED ...

Saturday 20 September 1947
  The Sphere
  London 

VENICE HOLDS ITS GONDOLA REGATTA: A Popular Annual Event on the Grand Canal
... GONDOLA REGATTA All sorts of craft crowded the Grand Canal, including one heavily-manned boat, which is seen in the immediate foreground, with its standing oarsmen. The centre of the Rialto provided an excellent grandstand for a few of the many thousands 

Tuesday 26 March 1946
 Western Daily Press
  Bristol

ON HIGH SEAS AND CANALS Seamen and Boatmen's Society Just before the war there were 10,000 canal boats registered at Lloyds, with 60,000 people living on them, in Great Britain. This was mentioned by the Rev. Alfred Kay. superintendent of the Sailors' Rest 

Friday 01 August 1941
  Clitheroe Advertiser and Times
  Lancashire 

OVER 100,000 MILES BY CANAL In an endeavour to bring into service boats which were of shortage of skilled labour, the Ministry of Transport offered grants to canal carrying companies for the training of canal boatmen

Wednesday 13 March 1940
  Birmingham Daily Gazette
  Warwickshire   

via Canal System
 demands on railways and roads, the possession of canals, providing a cheap, uncongested and accessible third line of transport, is of real advantage to a nation. Often termed the Cinderella of Industry, canals are now coming into their own

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Sunday 21 April 19 12:48 BST (UK) »
Tuesday 22 August 1939
  Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette
  Bedfordshire 

CANAL BOAT CHILDREN. FLOATING SCHOOL COMES TO LAND. The floating school in which, for some years, the children of men working on the Grand Union Canal have received elementary education has left its old moorings at West Drayton and has been hauled on 

I was wondering in this article below, well is this how most canal boats end up

Tuesday 06 September 1932
  Gloucester Citizen
  Gloucestershire

PICKLED CANAL BOATS CRAFT TO BE RAISED AFTER 12 YEARS Numbers of old canal boats on the Grand unnion and Grand Junction Canals are to-day being raised from watery graves, in which they have lain for perhaps a dozen years. They have been in

Friday 31 January 1930
  Dundee Evening Telegraph
  Angus

BANNING CHILDREN FROM CANAL BOATS MP's Bill in Commons Only Way to Solve Education Difficulty In the House of Commons to-day, Mr H. Gosling (Soc., Whitechapel) moved the second reading of the CanalBoats Bill, which provides that no child

Friday 31 January 1930
 Portsmouth Evening News
  Hampshire

Canal Boats Cleaner Than Slums
 The ordinary canal boat was cleaner than the slum, and the children led healthy outdoor life, moved for the rejection of the Bill. Sir John Withers said if they were passed in its present form it would be necessary to provide boarding schools for the thousand children 

Saturday 21 December 1929
  Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer
Yorkshire

CANAL BOAT CHILDREN. Sir,—The publication of the text of the Bill introduced by Mr. H. Gosling. M.P., to amend the Canal Boats Acts, 1877 and 1884, impels me to draw attention to the serious interruption of canal development which would follow ill-considered

Monday 24 December 1917
 Sheffield Daily Telegraph
  Yorkshire 

canal boat Providence, moored , Paper mill coal wharf, Barnsley, canal iced

Saturday 27 February 1915
  Bucks Herald
  Buckinghamshire

the death of William Barrie, a boatman. Edward Jones, boatman employed at Linstade, gave evidence to identity. James Hambridge stated that he was going to Coventry with two boats Thursday

Friday 20 November 1908
  Warwickshire 

William Hambridge. canal boatman, Nuneaton, was summoned by Frederick Chamberlain, manager of the Oxford Canal Co., for throwing things into the canal. Mr.Oliver J. Stockton, Benbury, it appeared to promote a practice on the part of the boatmen, of relieving the load on their boats by throwing the stone into the canal but the consequence was that the Consignee was cheated, and the company put to much mony to clear the canal. Over a ton of stone was missing from defendant's boat at the end of the journey. P.C. Capewell said on the 4th inst. he was on duty at the main bridge at Hawketery and saw defendant, who was in charge of a canal boat dropping stone, with which the boat was loaded, into the canal. Defendant denied the offence, but the Bench issued a fine of 10'. and costs, in default. 14 days

Thursday 18 April 1907
  Banbury Advertiser
  Oxfordshire 

The twelve knives produced, witness received them from Eliza Hambridge, the wife of a canal boatman, on the 9th inst. By the Mayor; Witness was quite sure that Hartley said she found the knives

Wednesday 13 June 1906
 Oxfordshire Weekly News
  Oxfordshire 

William Hambridge, boatman, was summoned for working a horse whilst in an unfit state, at Somerton. on May 15th. He pleaded not guilty

Friday 16 August 1901
  Warwickshire 

COUNTY PETTY SESSIONS
  Two Nuneaton boatmen, named John Thomas and Samuel Coles, were summoned by Richard Hambridge, Bedworth, for breaking and injuring part of a canal boat, and doing damage to the amount of £2, Bedworth, on the 10th

Friday 03 August 1900
  Warwickshire

Joseph Coles, boatman, Oxfordshire, summoned by Thomas Hambridge, boatman, for cruelty to a dog. The detendant was walking behind complainants horse, when the dog

Saturday 06 October 1900
  Tamworth Herald
  Staffordshire 

ATHERSTONE COUNTY COURT
 he would have had to have waited until the defendant passed.— Thomas Hambridge, boatman, stated that there was no other boat in sight when Moore's boat began to turn. —Emma Hambridge, Alfred Green, and John Chetwynd, landlord of the King's Head, Grendon 

Friday 03 August 1900
  Warwickshire 

NUNEATON POLICE COURT. -The following cases were too late for our edition on Thursday:   Joseph Coles, boatman, Oxfordshire, summoned by Thomas Hambridge, boatman, for cruelty to a dog

Saturday 04 August 1900
  Oxford Journal
  Oxfordshire 

OXFORD CITY COUNCIL
 As examining officer under the Canal Boats Acts, I submit a report on Canal Boat Providence, belonging to William Lamsdon. The boat complies with the regulations, and I recommend that a certificate be granted