Author Topic: Stephen family Newhills Aberdeen  (Read 6999 times)

Offline garryscotland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen family Newhills Aberdeen
« on: Friday 15 July 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Can anyone help looking to get more information on my great,great,great,great grandfather William Stephen born 1797? Forfarshire according to 1851 census, married Isabella Reid 1828 Chaple of Garioch, one son Robert, William died  Newhills Aberdeen 1869 and on death cert father James but no mother. Just wondered if anyone out there had info or doing the same tree.

Regards Garryscotland     

Offline castleman4444

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen family Newhills Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 02:34 BST (UK) »
hi garryscotland           u r in luck    william stephen is also my great,great,great,great grandfather so that would make us cousins , cousin and a side of the family i have never met.i have traced back from me all down the line to william and i have ended up to now , with the same information as yourself . i very much look forward to hear from you     regards castleman

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 06:23 BST (UK) »
William Stephen b Dundee 13 March 1799, when Dundee was classed as to be in Forfarshire, now Angus.

Regards

Malky

Offline garryscotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky

Thanks for your help but Williams parents on Scotlands Peop in 1799 are David Stephen & Jean Kerr, on his death cert is James but no mothers name, dont think it is him. Have you ever got a geneoligist to help with your searching when you hit a brick wall and are they costly

Regards Garryscotland
William Stephen b Dundee 13 March 1799, when Dundee was classed as to be in Forfarshire, now Angus.

Regards

Malky

Offline garryscotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
hi garryscotland           u r in luck    william stephen is also my great,great,great,great grandfather so that would make us cousins , cousin and a side of the family i have never met.i have traced back from me all down the line to william and i have ended up to now , with the same information as yourself . i very much look forward to hear from you     regards castleman

Hi Cus
           I have only started the tree and went off like a rocket and then hit the William brick wall, it is a shame because i was doing so well , i am 53 and stay in Peterhead, looking at the tree most of our relations are or were scattered around Aberdeenshire Newhills, Skene, and quite a lot in the city its self.

regards Garry   

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is this record.

William Stephen
Baptism/Christening Date 23 Aug 1796
Baptism/Christening Place Kintore, Aberdeen
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1796
Father's Name James Stephen
Mother's Name Janet Davidson

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline castleman4444

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
hi cus carnt pm not enough posts.i am 48 and i follow the line of eldest sons robert stephen, my grandfather robert john wilson stephen was told by my grandmother the buck stops here so my  uncle is called john eldest son, my father peter second eldest.my aunties and uncles and cousins all live in peterhead and boddam,so close hey,my mum and dad live in buckie,and guess what i am coming to visit for a week as on 16/08/11 a week on tuesday.i hope we can meet for a brew and a biscuit. ;D

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 11 06:16 BST (UK) »
"Thanks for your help but Williams parents on Scotlands Peop in 1799 are David Stephen & Jean Kerr, on his death cert is James but no mothers name, dont think it is him. Have you ever got a geneoligist to help with your searching when you hit a brick wall and are they costly"

Some more to add to the confusion

William Stephen b 10 JUN 1791,    Dundee, Angus, Scotland, James Stephen / Helen Lawson
William Stephen b 24 Jan or Feb 1792, Arbroath, Angus, Scotland, James Stephen /  Margaret  Petrie 2 date conflicting records
William Stephen b 28 Nov 1795  Craig By Montrose, Angus, Scotland, James Stephen / Jean Teviotdale
William Stephen b 14 Jan 1799  Barry, Angus, Scotland, James Stephen / Mary Scott

Regards

Malky

Offline mckay734

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 12 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for my Great grandfather, Robert S. McKay for the better part of 60 years.  It is said he was born in Freaserburgh, October 13, 1813.  However, there is absolutely no record of Robert there.  Now his middle name was, according to his obituary, STEPHENSON. I am beginning to wonder if Robert may have been adopted or fostered out to a Stephen or Stephenson family.  According to his biography which he wrote he wrote for an OHIO USA County history he left Aberdeenshire around 1836 to go to Manchester,  England—I assume for work.  He was a stone mason and Manchester was in the middle of the industrial revolution, and building was a major occupation of masons.  In Manchester he married Emma Hurst/Hirst around 1845, and they had a child William Wallace McKay born 1845.  The only record I can find of this family in Manchester is William’s birth record.
Does anyone have any information on Robert Stephens?  I have found a James MacKay who married Elizabeth Stephen Oct 30, 1803 in Tyrie. I believe there is a family here somewhere, but I cannot prove it Does this story ring a bell with anyone? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
David