Author Topic: Frank Ryan - Durham  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Miss Mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Ryan - Durham
« on: Saturday 16 July 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me find out about the Ryan family from Durham?

Lawrence Robert Ryan, born 1875 (Coke Filler) married Ellen Jane Freeman, born 1878, and they were living at Aldin Grange, Durham in 1911.

Their children were (Florence?) May born 1899; Lawrence born 1900, Allan born 1902, Thomas born 1905, Norman born 1906, Arther/Arthur born 1908, Elizabeth born 1911 and Frank Ryan born 18 November 1912.  It is possible that further siblings were  born later.  Frank married Phyllis Irene Knott (born 20 April 1914) on 25 January 1936 in Aldershot.  Frank was a Sergeant with the Durham Light Infantry and Phyllis was a nursery governess.  Frank was at Dettingen Barracks, Blackdown and Phyllis resided at Chingford Avenue, Farnborough.

Frank and Phyllis had a child born in St Albans, later given up for adoption.  Frank was a Captain in the Durham Light Infantry and Phyllis was residing at Frederick Place, Plumstead, SE18.  Frank served in the 2nd World War and was wounded in Tunisia.  He relinquished his commission on completion of service on 1st Janaury 1963 and granted Honorary rank of Major (QM).  After retiring he took up a civilian post with the Kenya Army.

I have no further information regarding Frank.  I am interested in knowing what happend to him.  Did he remain married to Phyllis or remarry?  Did he stay in Kenya or return to the UK?  Did he have any more children?

Thank you.

Hazel

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Ryan - Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
Did he have any more children

I am sending you a pm with details of another possible child.  In view of the date involved - the information may relate to a living person

There is no death for Frank in England up to 2005
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
We are careful not to mention people who may still be living so your post has been amended.
Andrea

Offline Kaz 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
My Grandma was Phyllis Ryan. According to what we were told Grandad Ryan went to war and didn’t return. Grandma Phyllis went on to marry Lawrence Kaye . My mums name was Brenda dawn Ryan. She also had a sister Hilary, but l believe this was by the second marriage.
I would love anymore details of this family please

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Kaz.

Miss Mac has not been online with Rootschat since September 2015.  If her email address has remained the same, she will receive a notification of your post.  If it has changed and she has not notified RC then she may not see your reply

Frank & Phyllis married 1936 in Aldershot and her re-marriage to Lawrence Kaye was 1954 also in Aldershot.  A copy of the 1954 marriage cert will show if Phyllis was a widow or a divorcee as it appears he was still alive in 1963 and may have died abroad
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kaz 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,
I am new to this site and my Grandma was Phyllis Kaye ( previously) Phyllis Ryan, nee Knott.
I would love any info on the family...
How many children?
Did Frank die in Kenya.?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Your mother was the only child born to the Ryan marriage.  I cannot see any children born to the second marriage.  Phyllis was born 1914 so was 41 at the time of her 2nd marriage.  She died 1983 and Leslie Lawrence Kaye died 1989 both in Surrey

Perhaps she had a stepsister if Leslie Lawrence Kaye was previously married

Offline Yorkshire_Lass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, Frank was my great uncle.  I am the granddaughter of his elder sister (Florence) May.  I would love to share information if you're still active.  I have information on the 12 Ryan siblings.  Look forward to hearing from people interested.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 October 21 16:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Unfortunately the same comments apply re getting replies.  Kaz has not been online since posting last year & there was no response to her post from Miss Mac