Author Topic: Grace KEAST  (Read 11933 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Grace KEAST
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi cousin Julie. ;)

I got your PM too but I'll answer here for the record.

Your ancestor Richard Sibly of St Cleer was my greatx3-grandmother's brother.

(You're a youngster! But of course, my gr-grfather, my Sibly ancestor's grandson, was 50 when my grfather was born.)

There is absolutely no connection, the proverbial zero nada zilch, with Richard Shipley of Tennessee (or wherever else he is theorized to have originated or lived in the USA).

That nonsense appears to be 100% the result of a stupid Anc'y "hint" based on the fact that the two people share some consonants in their surname, and of course that company's US-centric approach to things. And people who don't care just saying "yes please!" and adopting that nonsense into their trees, one from another to another.

I don't know whether the Shipley of Tennessee was actually born in 1775, or that date has simply been lifted from our Sibly.

I will send you a link to a discussion thread on the "Shipley" board at that other website where I have laid out all the details of our Richard Sibly showing very clearly that he was not Richard Shipley. Basically, there are excellent parish records for our man showing him hatched, matched and dispatched in Cornwall. His mum and dad did not take a jaunt across the Atlantic and deposit another child with the same name and then sail back to England. ;)

Lovely to meet you and we can chat further by PM!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?