Author Topic: Grace KEAST  (Read 11875 times)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grace KEAST
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 August 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
For you to consider :-

If your Sam was the one who died in 1804 there seems to be a will for him at the CRO.

Also in 1806 an Elizabeth Sibly widow married a Joseph Spear widower, so that could have been your Elizabeth and not the one who was living in Warleggan and buried St Cleer.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 August 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
Why could some of our ancestors not have been named Britanny and Justin??

Thanks! and I shall get back to these Siblys once I get this big overdue job done ...

edit ... work can wait: Joseph Speare aged 76 buried in St Cleer parish 1829, "a very worthy, useful, unoffensive man and as such much respected by all who knew him". Elizabeth Spear, not so clear ...

And meanwhile, whaddaya think of the possibility that Grace Keast's baptism is lost with the St Cleer records for 1673-1677, and she was probably a child of Francis Keast or John Keast born in one of those years?

Hopefully finnisfinder will come back and check that idea out. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
You are assuming that everyone had their children baptised.

I was missing one whole generation of my family until I came across a will. There were six children and not one of them baptised.

I reckon the parents fell out with the church for some reason !!!

When I was doing the registers for Quethiock, there were a lot of adult baptisms because the vicar there wouldn't marry anyone who hadn't been baptised.

BUT yes in the case of Grace Keast that could be a reason and either of those could be the parents. We need to find a Keast will.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline finnisfinder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 August 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
 I'm back! Thought it would be easier to share what I have. It came from a family connection who had access to PRs in London +
 Cornwall OPC.

These early Siblys are taken from the will of Richard Sibly dated 15th Dec 1652 proved 1st May 1660 in London and his widow Phillipa's will dated 15th Dec 1679, proved 9th Feb 1684/5

Phillipa buried St Cleer 5th Nov 1684. Need to check this. Richard listed in Protestant returns for St Cleer 1641/2.

I will go through the wills if you haven't seen them. But later post!

These are children of R and P

Nicholas bap?
John bap?
Mary bap? Mary buried 27th Nov 1705 St Cleer?
Phillipa bap 28th April 1633 St Cleer m Ralph Philpe 21st May 1678 St Cleer, buried 4th Oct 1684 Lansallos.
Richard bap 15th Nov 1635 St Cleer.
THOMAS (husband's line) bap ? m Mary Lobb 19th Oct 1664 St Cleer bur 30th March 1702 St Cleer.

Children of Thomas and Mary Lobb
Thomas bap 20th Oct 1665/6? St Cleer m 1st Peternell Batte 12th Oct 1694 St Cleer, she was buried 22nd May 1701 St Cleer.
Thomas m 2nd Jane Roberts  9th July 1703 St Cleer. she was buried 27th August 1711 St Cleer. Thomas was bur 4th Nov 1726 St Cleer.
Samuel bap 15th Oct 1672 St Cleer m Mary Stephens  d/o Thomas Stephens 1st Apr 1703  bur 25th Feb 1744 St Cleer, but of Tremar.
Nicholas bap? Buried 13th June 1733 St Cleer. (mentioned in wills.)

RICHARD bap 13th May 1668 St Cleer m GRACE KEAST 1st Jan 1699 St Cleer. Richard bur 23rd April 1711 St Cleer.

Richard  bap 22nd April 1701 m Lore Libby 10th April 1729 St Cleer bur 15th Aug 1733 St Cleer  had a daughter Grace bap 25th Aug 1730 St Cleer. She married Henry Cole 17th July 1758 . One of the witnesses was Samuel Sibly, who was probably her cousin son of her father's brother Thomas?*

Richard's slblings were
Thomas* bap  26th Jan 1703 St Cleer m?
Mary bap 12th June St Cleer  bur 22nd October 1791 St Cleer
Joan bap 11th Nov 1707 St Cleer bur 7th Jan 1763 St Cleer
Nicholas bap27th March 1711 St Cleer.

Now need to look at family of Thomas and Peternell and Samuel and Mary Stephens, also go through wills because Borrow name mentioned there. I have more on a program that I will look up.

Hope this is clear???!!!

Maggie

Areas: East Kent, Norfolk, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Sussex, London area.
Australia, Canada

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 August 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
I hope that you are going to transcribe the wills and donate them to the OPC website !!!

You can learn a lot about families from wills fortunately.

Thanks for this info.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Just to note that the reason Samuel Sibly was a witness was that he was the parish clerk. But probably also cousin. ;)

I'm still trying to remember which Samuel (married to Elizabeth Coumbe) was mine ... !

But anyhow, I'll ask my question for the 39th time ...

finnisfinder, your original quest was for the baptism of Grace Keast.

Since no baptism has been found to fit, do you think it likely that she was baptised 1673-1677 in St Cleer, daughter of either John Keast or Francis Keast, and that record is among those permanently lost?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
I answered that on page 3.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
I said:

finnisfinder, your original quest was for the baptism of Grace Keast.
Since no baptism has been found to fit, do you think ...

;)

Yes, some children were not baptised. But here we have a Grace Keast marrying in St Cleer (marriages commonly took place in the bride's home parish), where there were two Mr Keasts baptising children at exactly the right time, and there is no other option for a Grace Keast baptism in Cornwall ...

Offline julieriddiough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, sorry to jump on an ancient thread,  I've been doing my tree for about 5 years with breaks in between, My 5x great grandfather is Richard Sibly/Sibley (1775-1847)

I just wanted to confirm i am on the right track as this whole Richard Shipley business has confused  me and after reading all of this i'm even more confused, sooooo just to clarify what i have, please correct if i'm wrong :-\

Richard Sibly Married Elizabeth Govett in February 1805,

Richards Parents were Samuel Sibly 1734-?? and Elizabeth Coumbes or Coombes 1748-1830

Richards son James is my 4x grt grandfather that moved to Brotton, Yorkshire (where im from)

Brotton History Website - www.communigate.co.uk/ne/brottonhistory
RIDDIOUGH FAMILY - www.riddiough.com

Riddiough - Brotton, Shipley
Trinder - Berkshire, Loftus
Marsay - Whitby, Brotton, Boosbeck
Yeoman - Whitby, Loftus, Brotton
Harris - Loftus, Devon
Sibly - Cornwall, Brotton
Spargo - Devon
Pulford - West Yorkshire
Ward - Loftus
Leach - Shipley, Baildon, Saltaire