Author Topic: Jameson family in Reigate  (Read 5004 times)

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jameson family in Reigate
« on: Saturday 16 July 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Not sure what might be out there, but I would be thrilled to find some actual records or hear any further information to add to the following family:

John “Jack” Alexander Rowand was a Canadian mine owner who came to Montana, USA, in the late 1800s. He married a woman named Bertha Hauswirth and had two daughters in Butte, Montana: Edith Kingold Rowand (born October 10th, 1880) and Dora Kincaid Rowand (born sometime between 1880 and 1886).

In 1884, the daughters were sent to live with family in Canada, where they stayed until 1898. In 1898, the relocated from Canada to Cheltenham where they are said to have lived until 1904. I’m not completely sure, but I believe the girls might have attended school in Cheltenham during this time frame. According to the 1901 census, the headmistress of Cheltenham’s Ladies College is a Letitia Rowand who might be of some relation.

On 16 Oct 1907, Dora married Arthur Sampson Jameson in York, Ontario, Canada. Arthur was a civil engineer born about 1874 in Belquam, Karnataka, India, to English parents Thomas Loughnan Jameson and Elizabeth Colthurst. His was said by more than one account to have been a very well-off family with titles among the extended family (haven’t been able to track down the specifics on this yet).

Dora and Arthur returned to England where they lived in Reigate, Surrey, until Arthur died there on 26 Feb, 1941. Dora followed in 1966. I’ve been told they had three sons: 1. Arthur Martin Colthurst Jameson who was born 1908 and died in a car accident on 16 Nov 1937. 2. Donald Alexander Jameson who was born about 1910 and died 23 Apr 1943 while flying a plane to the aerodome in Cambridgeshire. 3. A son named Thom who was born about 1913. Don’t know when he died, though it was after 1966.

I've well researched Dora's family back in North America, but I would like to hear a bit more about her husband's family, her sons, or the woman herself.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jameson family in Reigate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Letitia Rowand appears on the 1881/1891 as well as the 1901 census - each time in Cheltenham.  Birthplace Montreal 1848-1850

She died in Knaresborough Yorkshire in 1909 aged 60

This is the 3rd child you mention - no name can often be an indication that the child died but I can't find a death at the moment

Births September qtr 1913     
Jameson  (Male) mothers maiden name  Rowand  Reigate  2a 390
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 July 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Clearly not Arthurs parents but the middle name is rather unique

IGI extracted record

Thomas Loughnan Jameson    Father:  James Jameson   
Spouse:  Catharine Jane Dawson    Father: Edward Dawson
Marriage:  10 JUN 1841   Lancaster, Lancashire, England

Catharine Jane Dawson   Birth:  29 DEC 1819   Lancaster, Lancashire   
Father:  Edward Dawson    Mother:  Anne 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Incoming passenger lists show Edith Rowand teacher arriving Liverpool from Boston Massachusetts 10.7.1911

Also a Miss  E K Rowand 10.7.1909 from Quebec to Liverpool

Then Edith K Rowand aged 43 arrived London from Montral Quebec 2.7.1924 occ teacher and going to Doran Court Redhill Surrey

No specific entry for Dora Rowand but Miss Rowand and Miss D Rowand arrived Liverpool from Quebec July 1904

Miss D Rowand arrived Liverpool 29.6.1907 from Quebec 

Miss Rowand and maid arrived Liverpool 30.11.1907 from Quebec

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
www.cwgc.org shows Donald's death

Name: JAMESON, DONALD ALEXANDER
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Air Transport Auxiliary
Secondary Regiment: Royal Air Force
Date of Death: 24/04/1943
Additional information: Son of Arthur S. Jameson, and of Dora K. Jameson, of Reigate; husband of Beatrice Joan Jameson.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: East of Church.
Cemetery: SHAMLEY GREEN (CHRIST CHURCH) CHURCHYARD

He married Beatrice J Allen in 1940 in Surrey - does not appear to have had any children.  Beatrice did not re-marry and died in 1945 in Surrey aged 33

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 11 03:17 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!

I used the death information for Letitia and mamaged to track down a photo of her headstone on findagrave.com. It's actually quite informative as it lists her as Letitia "of Canada" and "daughter of Alexander Rowand, M.D." This makes her indeed Jack Rowand's sister and, in turn, the girls' paternal aunt.

I did have some info concerning Edith's travels between the U.S. and England, though you had some new dates to add to the list. I actually have a copy of Edith's passport from Ancestry.com. I don't have Dora's but that was back before I knew her married name.

Offline eviewhite

• I am sorry but my emails are not working anymore.
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
i was browsing on ebay and came accross some diaries.... they are in the name of "A.S. Jameson. Doran Court, Redhill Surrey"
i googled, and came up with this page!
i just thought they might be of interest...

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 December 11 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was outbid on all but one of the diaries. If anyone else who bought the remaining diaries comes across this post, please feel free to get in contact with me as I would be very interested in learning what is written in the five other diaries.

Offline acia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in more background information on Donald Alexander Jameson.  He was killed on 24th April 1943 when flying Mustang AG471 which blew up and crashed crashed 1 mile SW of Bottisham, Cambridgeshire.  He was ferrying the aircraft from Kirkbride in Cumbria to Bottisham in Cambridgeshire as a member of the Air Transport Auxiliary.  I believe he may have been seconded from the RAF at the time.

I am researching the incident and pilot for a proposed book on the 1,300+ aircrew who served with the ATA.

If any family should find this post I would be extremely grateful if you were to get in touch.

Many thanks,

Jim