Author Topic: Isabella MONTGOMERY (m Veighey,Killeshandra. Ireland - have hit a brick wall !!!  (Read 5892 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
I am new to researching and I am trying to locate info on Isabella Montgomery who was my father's grandmother. She married James Veighey and they had a son also called James (b 1887 - Dunaweel, Killeshandra Co Cavan - Ireland). James was an only child. I have a copy of James' birth certificate (1887), and Isabella is the mother on the certificate.Isabella was related to the famous General Montgomery 'Monty' from Donegal. I've seen old photos of my father's brother who was born in 1920 (William James Veighey) and there is a very strong family resemblance between him and 'Monty' Isabella married again after my great grandfather died, her second husband was called Gibson. She had a sister called Mary Ann who lived in The Cottage in Dunaweel with the rest of the Veighey family  I have checked various censuses and other records I cannot find any information on either of the James Veighey's. My father told me yesterday that Isabella had a niece Annie that married Douglas Smith the founder's son of Rington's Tea in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Montgomery (m Veighey,Killeshandra. Ireland - have hit a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
http://www.groireland.ie/ - have you tried to get hold of the marriage certificate of Isabella and James?

Which censuses have you looked at? As far as I can tell the 1901 for Cavan is only available on microfilm   - so might be difficult to find them if they'd moved around some.

As to the Smiths - Samuel Smith, the founder, who was born in 1872 in Leeds, did have a son Douglas (his second) who inherited the business.  It is still run by the family, so you could try contacting them.

http://www.ringtonscentenary.co.uk/timeline.htm - Douglas, son of Samuel, took over the business aged 50 in 1949 when his father died, to be succeeded by sons Norman, Douglas Jr, and Jonnie.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Montgomery (m Veighey,Killeshandra. Ireland - have hit a brick wall !!!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I have looked at the 1891 census using the Ancestry website, which I have just subscribed to.  I looked on the site you suggested and as I do not know dates when James Veighey married Isabella Montgomery and the site does not support genealogy inquiries I am a bit confused. However I have emailed Ringtons Tea in Newcastle for information.  On their website which you pointed me to, they had a shire horse called 'Monty' and as I am trying to find a link with General Montgomery to my family this could be a very good link. My father has given me a photo of Isabella Montgomery, it is not a very good photo but it is a start, I will use the photo restoration group for help.
Thanks for your help.
Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Montgomery (m Veighey,Killeshandra. Ireland - have hit a brick wall
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for them in Ireland the 1891 census on Ancestry won't help - the 1891 Irish census was destroyed, Ancestry don't have any of the Irish censuses to my knowledge.

For the Irish BMD's it looks like you would have to go there, or alternatively order the films through an LDS centre, or hire someone (ie. http://www.irish-roots.net/cavan.asp ).

There are some entries on the IGI - for example, there's an Isabella Montgomery born 5 May 1865 Arvagh, Cavan, parents James Montgomery and Isabella Shaw.  However, without the marriage it's hard to know if this might be her or not.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Montgomery (m Veighey,Killeshandra. Ireland - have hit a brick wall !!!
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your help.
The town Arvagh is very close to Killeshandra where my parents were born so this Isabella Montgomery you have found could be my great grandmother as she gave birth to James Veighey in 1887. You mentioned the IGI - is this something I have to subscribe to -  as I am new to this family research I am not sure what it means.

Thanks

Margaret

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GENERAL BERNARD LAW MONTGOMERY
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
This is a shot in the dark that MEW53 will see this message after such a long time.  I read with great interest that you believe you have an Isabella Montgomery with a connection to General Montgomery.  Please can you send a PM as I have a very interesting tale to tell you.  Regards VB

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GENERAL BERNARD LAW MONTGOMERY
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
This is a shot in the dark that MEW53 will see this message after such a long time.  I read with great interest that you believe you have an Isabella Montgomery with a connection to General Montgomery.  Please can you send a PM as I have a very interesting tale to tell you.  Regards VB

Hi VB,

I was so pleased to get a reply on this thread today as it is nearly 4 years since it was posted!
Strange how things happen, my father passed away a few weeks ago and he always believed  there was a link with General Montgomery, so I am eagerly awaiting any information that you may have.

Thanks

Margaret :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
VB, I'm interested in your tale too.
Could you please PM me the same?

My father used to tell enquirers that we were related to General Montgomery too, but that we were "cousins 52 times removed".

If your father only 'believed' you were related, and you have no proof, please don't be disappointed if it turns out just to be a dream

:(   :(   :D   :D

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mcquillan2312

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Isabella and Montgomery
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I dont know much about using this facility, however on searching some details the above 2 names came up registered to you. I am Isabella McQuillan Lindsay (nee Anderson), my mum was Mary Stuart Anderson (nee Montgomery) born 1931 and my grandmother was Isabella Montgomery (nee McQuillan) I think born 1895 a connection through 3 generations to each of the names you have listed. My grandfather William Montgomery died 1943 and I dont know any other history going back. Just trying a lot of options and trying to track information if I can.
Cheers
Belle