Author Topic: 1841 census lookup please  (Read 12705 times)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup please
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Elizabeth Jones born abt 1838 on the 1841 census. father could be Robert  living in Pengenffordd.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Do you have the 1851 census to confirm your findings of where she was living?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
     I think she was with the Phillips family ( niece ) but i don't have access to the censuses now. other places were she was born on the censuses = Talgarth and  Llangoose.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
The reason I was asking was because I had found that entry but wasn't sure if it was your Elizabeth, I noticed that Pengenffordd would be in the district of Talgarth also.

There appears to be eight Eliza/Elizabeth Jones in Breconshire around the area of Talgarth all within a couple of years of the date you are interested in, however, none of them have a father named Robert.

I think to move on you really need the details from her marriage certificate which will give her father's name and occupation - hopefully anyway, unless it is blank, which might be another lead.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA
                 Can you do me a big favour before i send off for the marriage certificate. I found a couple of baptisms for Elizabeth, Margaret, and Gwenllian in brecon. parents John and Gwenllian.
 I know Elizabeth named a couple of her children, Margaret, Gwenllian and John. Can you have a look on the 1841 census to see  where this family were living.
                                                                                                  Thanks wayne

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
How about some clues. Where did the baptisms take place? When did the baptisms take place?

As you are aware Jones is one of the most common names in the United Kingdom so there has to be limitations at least geographically - and I don't mean just by county, but town - to undertake such a search even in 1851 and later censuses.  In the 1841 census no relationships are given so it's even harder and it doesn't appear that they are in Talgarth - unless of course those children I am searching for have already died and so I'm missing the family.

before i send off for the marriage certificate.                           

I need to say that it's not just good practice to send off for the certificate, it's more or less essential, even if we did discover the family you are suggesting that would be just guesswork - in a big way with the name Jones, and although naming patterns often do come into it, it's not reliable and although it seemed an uncommon name to me, there are many Gwenllians - of various spellings.

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Here are the baptisms i found all in Saint Marys Tabernacle Welsh Wesleyan Brecon.
Margaret 27 may 1832, Gwen 13 sep 1834, Elizabeth 23 may 1837. parents John and Gwenllian.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Again I must say that with a name like Jones my search has had to be restricted to a location and I have chosen Talgarth since Pengenffordd would appear to be within that district.  Although there are John & Gwenllians, there are none with children of any of those names and ages in that immediate district.

I notice that Saint Marys Tabernacle Welsh Wesleyan Brecon is a Non Conformist church but is situated in Brecon.  I'm not saying you are wrong but wouldn't it be more reasonable of the family to have baptised their children at the Bethlehem Calvinistic Methodist Talgarth Breconshire?

I am afraid I have done all I can, feel like I'm chasing my own tail searching for a family that you have no proof is yours.  Without the marriage certificate and the father's name from it, I have come to a stop.

Offline whdsn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
    The marriage certificate came today, Elizabeth's father was William a farmer. Elizabeth was in Cwmbrook at the time of her marriage