Author Topic: Lopen info please  (Read 5795 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lopen info please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi GarretJ
I'm hoping that you're still about..
I am a descendant of the England's from Lopen...
Please contact me

Hi Jo
I am a direct descendant of the England's from Lopen. I look forward to your contact.

Jon

Hello There,

In my family tree I have just found a Robert England. He was one of my 6x great granddad's. He married Jane Clarke in Lopen on the 10th of December 1789.
I have been trying to find a baptism for him but have not been that successful. There was a Robert England who was buried in 1825, in Lopen. This one's birth year has been put down as 1768. But I can't seem to find a baptism that is close. The closest that I can find appears to be one who was baptised in 1763, in Chard.
But then I went onto find my past: There is a Robert England on there, who was apparently born in 1761 in Lopen (according to his military record). He was in the  28th Foot Regiment; 2nd Royal Veteran Battalion:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8825220
I have not managed to look at the original record on Find My Past though:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-military-armed-forces-and-conflict?firstname=robert&firstname_variants=true&lastname=england&lastname_variants=true&keywordsplace=somersetutf002c%20england

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Robinredbreast

I understand there were several different England families in the region around this time. Unfortunately this Robert doesn't seem to be one of mine. I do have a Robert England born circa 1759 and Baptized Apr 30 1759 Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, England. Parents were Robert England and Joan Gillard married 15/01/1759 Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, England. That is all the information I have on this very distant arm. Is the same family???
I would be interested in looking at any information that you may have in respect to this line.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Robinredbreast

I understand there were several different England families in the region around this time. Unfortunately this Robert doesn't seem to be one of mine. I do have a Robert England born circa 1759 and Baptized Apr 30 1759 Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, England. Parents were Robert England and Joan Gillard married 15/01/1759 Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, England. That is all the information I have on this very distant arm. Is the same family???
I would be interested in looking at any information that you may have in respect to this line.

Jon

Hello there,
All I have managed to find out is that this Robert England and Jane (nee Clarke), had a daughter called Hannah, baptised in Lopen in 1790. I haven't managed to find anymore baptisms for anymore of their possible children in Lopen. or around the area.
Hannah England had a daughter called Jane England, baptised in Lopen, on the 10th of April 1822. The father's name was not put on the baptism register, for the birth of this Jane. The baptism register stated:" Mother, (Hannah England), a Spinster."
Then on the 31st of Aug 1822, Hannah England married John Daniel, in Lopen.
Here is Hannah Daniel (nee England), in the 1851 census in Lopen:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGPM-PS9

Hannah's daughter Jane England, married Thomas Burrows on the 9th of February 1845, in South Petherton, Somerset.
Their daughter Elizabeth Mary Burrows, was born in Chard. She married Edwin Thomas Ebdon, in Sidbury, Devon on the 16th of July 1866. On the register, her surname was written down as: "Burroughs", but Elizabeth Mary did not sign her own name on the register. And there was no Elizabeth Mary Burroughs, who was born in Chard around 1845. Here is a link to the 1851 census, in Crewkerne, showing Jane Burrows (nee England), born in Lopen and her family:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGPM-2S4

Thank you very much.

:) ;)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I had looked at this and also only found 1 child for Robert/Jane ie Hannah 1790 Lopen.

There is a Burial 14 Aug 1791, All Saints, Lopen, for a JANE England, pauper
(FreeREG)

Possible Birth Reg for Elizabeth Mary, names reversed ?;

ENGLAND, MARY  ELIZABETH, no Mothers mn***
GRO Reference: 1845  J Quarter in CHARD  Volume 10  Page 372

So likely born before the Marriage.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I had looked at this and also only found 1 child for Robert/Jane ie Hannah 1790 Lopen.

There is a Burial 14 Aug 1791, All Saints, Lopen, for a JANE England, pauper
(FreeREG)

Possible Birth Reg for Elizabeth Mary, names reversed ?;

ENGLAND, MARY  ELIZABETH, no Mothers mn***
GRO Reference: 1845  J Quarter in CHARD  Volume 10  Page 372

So likely born before the Marriage.

Hello,
Yes thank you for that. The Jane England burial would explain why there are no more children baptised for the pair after Hannah was born.
And yes, the Mary Elizabeth could be Elizabeth Mary. But her parents were married in February 1845. So it may mean that she had a different father.
But it just seems strange that her birth would be registered a few months after her parents were married. On family search there is also a: "Male England" with the birth registered in Chard in 1845:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/search/record/results?facetType=ON&query=%2Bsurname%3AEngland%7E%20%2Bbirth_place%3AChard%7E%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1845-1845%7E%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3AEngland%2CSomerset&count=20&collection_id=2285338

Cheers.

:) ;)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 February 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Tour welcome ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Luke England

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 April 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am a descendant of the England's from Lopen and Merriot, Somerset.

I have traced my family directly to John England (of Lopen) who married Ann Lawrence in 6 May 1792 in Merriot. It appears that John's father was Robert England born c1742 (who married Ann Churchill 6 October 1766 in Merriot. If anyone knows about this branch of the England Family, I'd be keen to discuss.

Cheers