Author Topic: Stephen MARTIN  (Read 4830 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen MARTIN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 July 11 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

....Did the Parhurst boys go to Australia as well as NZ. as I have tried them in NZ

My suggestion as to checking the Parkhurst Boys is very very speculative.  So, I have not checked any lists to see IF by chance your lad was one of these lads.  It was simply an "outside the square" suggestion on my part, while trying to consider how your chap could have been a shoemaker in Melbourne before enlisting at age 21 in 1863 and then going to NZ with the Volunteer Militia.  Your Original Post states he worked as a shoemaker in Melbourne before he enlisted and I have checked various historic directories and not found any reference to him in Melbourne, nor as a shoemaker.   Perhaps the digitised newspapers (linked earlier) would help you locate him before he left Victoria in 1863 .....

Various public libraries should have books about the Parkhurst Boys.  Goggle search under the heading Parkhurst Boys gives many results.  Here is one link
http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/dead_reckoning/private_archives/n-s/parkhurst_boys

The opening paragraph at that link includes the following statement
"The Parkhurst boys were juvenile offenders from the Isle of Wight's Parkhurst Prison, who were transported to the Australian and New Zealand colonies between 1842 and 1861. Under the scheme, the boys were to be granted pardons under certain conditions such as permanent exile from England and, in the case of younger boys, undertaking apprenticeship in the colonies. 1,499 boys are recorded as being sent to the colonies ......."

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Maz72

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 September 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi. There's a fair amount of misinformation here on Stephen Martin. Stephen and his brother John sailed from Gravesend on the "Champion of the Seas" in March 1857. There ages were given as 11 and 9, and they don't appear to have been accompanied by any adults. They disembarked at Geelong, rather than Melbourne. As a descendant of Stephen I'm interested in why Toru4 is researching him.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 September 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Maz72,

Welcome to RoostsChat :)

Toru4 is having problems with his email notifications as the moment :'( I have sent him a message with link to your post but he will not see it until he logs in next.

Regards
Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 September 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome back to RootsChat toru4, thanks for updating your new email address.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk