Author Topic: Missing Baptism Ann Buckley circa 1824  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Missing Baptism Ann Buckley circa 1824
« on: Monday 18 July 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a baptism for Ann Buckley who was born abt 1824 in Bolton or Little Bolton and then hopefully a marriage for her parents.

I have her in 1841 in Whitfield Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock with her siblings (I think) but no parents.

Class: HO107; Piece 580; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Manchester; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 21; Page: 34

On 11 Oct 1841 she married Thomas France at Manchester Cathedral and her father is recorded as James Buckley, overlooker.  Her place of birth is either Bolton or Little Bolton according to the 1861, 1871 and 1881 census.  They lived in Canal Street, Manchester which is where she died in 1884 and is buried in Southern Cemetery.

Thank you.

Luzzu  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Buckley born abt 1824 in Bolton or Little Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,

There are 4 James Buckley's getting married., in Bolton Le Moors  at St Peter's Church.

1831  James Buckley M Anne Bates   (too late)
1814  James Buckley M Jane Preston
1818  James Buckley M Nancy Holden
1820  James Buckley M Ann Stringfellow

Possibilities?

Cancan :)

Manchester Library hold a lot of parish records for Bolton!!!
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Buckley born abt 1824 in Bolton or Little Bolton
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cancan  :D.

I am liking James Buckley and Nancy Holden in 1818 a lot.  Lancs OPC have it as 15 Nov 1818 and James is a carder (so could have been promoted to an overlooker by 1841).

Ann Buckley's siblings at Whitfield Street in 1841 are Martha, Catherine, Ann, Thomas and Nancy.  So far I've found baptisms at St Peter's Bolton Le Moors for Martha (14 Mar 1819), Catherine (22 April 1821) and Thomas (18 Jun 1826), parents in all cases Jas/James Buckley and Nancy.

Can't see anything yet for Ann ca 1824 (typically the one I'm looking for  ::)) or Nancy ca 1831.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Baptism Ann Buckley circa 1824
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
I have now found baptisms for all Ann's siblings as listed on the 1841 census plus a couple of extras but I am really struggling to find the one baptism I am looking for.

This is what I have so far with all events taking place at St Peters Bolton-le-Moors

Martha bapt 14 Mar 1819
Catherine bapt 22 April 1821
Ann - MISSING BAPTISM
Thomas - bapt 18 June 1826
Rosanna - bapt 19 April 1829/bur 31 Mar 1830
Nancy/Mary? - bapt 26 Jun 1831
Rosanna - bapt 4 Oct 1833/bur 21 Dec 1834

They are all children of James/Jas Buckley and Nancy who were married 15 Nov 1818.

All the children, with the exception of the two Rosannas, are at Whitfield Street, Chorlton on Medlock in 1841.  I have found a possible burial in 1836 for their mother, Nancy, and a burial for their father, James, in 1838 - just waiting for the death certificate but the burial says he was living in Chorlton.  So these burials explain why the children were living in Chorlton without their parents.

There is a slight discrepancy with the baptism for Nancy/Mary in 1831 as she appears on the 1841 as Nancy but was baptised Mary.

I don't understand why I can't find a baptism for Ann.  Her estimated year of birth of 1824 is consistent throughout all the censuses until she died in 1884.

Can anyone help please.

Luzzu

Offline ShellDeLeo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Nancy/Mary is my Gt Gt Grandmother, I thought I would say hello,
Michele

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michele

Ann Buckley, Nancy/Mary's sister, was my 3 x gt grandmother. Her baptism is still missing.

Their father, James Buckley, died in 1838 at the age of 38. He was at work at the Twist Mill in Oxford Street, Manchester. He went to help a young boy who was slipping on an iron floor but James lost his footing and fell down six stories through the "hoist teagle" hole and was killed instantly.

He was buried at Bolton Parish Church and had a funeral procession of a hearse and four mourning coaches. The report said he was very well respected in both Bolton and Manchester.

So with their mother, Nancy, dying in 1836 - I suppose the older children looked after the younger ones and explains why the children were living without their parents in Chorlton upon Medlock in 1841.

Luzzu  :)

Offline ShellDeLeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info, I am having a hard time finding his birth, Nancy I believe I have via DNA matches but not James once again many thanks.
Nancy/Mary, all records for Mary she married John Comerford.
Michele

Offline ShellDeLeo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 March 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to track Thomas Winstanley to see if there is a connection, I also have not found her baptism. :(