Author Topic: Charles Moore  (Read 4587 times)

Offline PamelaGrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Moore
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

We're looking for information about Charles Moore snr.
We know he was born about 02 October 1799 in Oughterage, Leitrim, Ireland and died about 16 February 1873 in Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand. He was married to Isabella Christian Cannell and they had 9 children. What we are searching for is Charles Moore's parents. Our cousin told us that she thinks his father died in the Peninsular War (Charles was a soldier, too) Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Moore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PamelaGrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much aghadowey.
That's very helpful  :)

Offline PamelaGrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Moore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
We are searching for Charles Moore's, from Leitrim Ireland, parents.
He was born around 02 Oct 1799 and died in Onehunga, New Zealand.
He was a soldier. Charles married Isabella Christian Cannell, who was from the
Isle of Man. We've been told that there is a possibility that Charles was also from the Isle of Man
and was born there because his father (who is believed to be a soldier also and possibly fought and
died in the Peninsular War) was stationed there. Information about Charles' parents and him would be
very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kind Regards,
Pam & Grace

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 04:07 BST (UK) »
hi,,i was having a look for your soldier,,and not having any luck,,,,when i happened to be looking at the service record of a totally different Charles Moore,,,and then maybe,your luck changed,,,,Amongst the pages of this other Charles Moore i found a couple of pages which did not belong with this record.

They were for another Charles Moore who joined the 4th foot in Colchester,Essex,,in 1813 aged 14,,so born c1799,,,he was from Leitrim,,

he served as a drummer boy from 1813-1817,,then as a private from 1817-1839.
he served 26 years in total,,,,serving in the East Indies 1837-1839 and the West Indies 1819-1826
he was discharged in jan 1840,,and the thing that caught my eye was the place he was discharged,,,,Douglas,Isle of Man !
So,,,this could your man,,,there is nothing more to be learned from the images,,,but if it is him,,,at least you know which regiment he was in.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PamelaGrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. Sound's like the right person  :)
Thank you very much again  :D