Author Topic: Kelly family castlewellan  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Kbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly family castlewellan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 August 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone I’m a granddaughter of Ernies (Ernest) who married to Annie Brown, has been great finding out some information about Richard does anyone have any family pictures? I managed to find a picture and some information on his time in the northern horse cavalry I am also in close contact with John Henry’s descendants

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
John Henry that married Susan Shillady?
I've cleaned that grave a few times.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
Should also have mentioned the man in my avatar is Richards nephew.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the couple in the following marriage, which took place 8 months after Melvin Kelly married Margaret Jane Perry, were Melvin's sister and Margaret Jane's brother? (note the witness)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11436/8200730.pdf

In the above record, the bride's address of Ballywillwill is right on the money and the groom's address of Claragh (Loughinisland) is a neighbouring townland to Margaret Jane Perry's marriage address of Drumanaquoile (Kilmegan).

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 12:38 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the couple in the following marriage, which took place 8 months after Melvin Kelly married Margaret Jane Perry, were Melvin's sister and Margaret Jane's brother?

I can see transcripts of baptisms that took place in Leitrim Presbyterian Church for 4 children with parents called John Kelly and Margaret, all with an address of Benraw, Melvill (1841), Mary Jane (1847), William John (1848/49) and Melvill (1850) - but no sign of an Ellen/Eleanor... ah well.  :(

The baptismal record for Mary Jane (1847) also gives the mother's surname - Margaret McCrackin.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Gaffy, that was Melvin sister and yes she married Margaret Jane's brother.

The problem I had for years was that there were two Melvin kellys born in benraw, one 1841 the other 1847, both births then corresponded with the 1901 &1911 census. Parents for both were Margaret and John.
It wasn't until we discovered that one ended up in the U.S., that one was married to Margaret McCracken.
It's been no easy feat with this family and until the records came online it was all ifs and buts.
Though several years ago I accidentally came across a cracker of a will which linked Melvin with his brothers,  from memory I think it was William Perry that registered his sister Margaret Jane's death.
Married a month shy of her 16th birthday and had went on to have 14 children, she died aged 42 in 1896

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
I should have been more specific, the two baptisms I have were from roots Ireland and Melvin in 1901 gave his age as 54, but in 1911 he was70.
Both ages fitting in with the two baptisms but which one was he. :D
Anyhow on his death certificate it States he was 78, I know that may be right or wrong.
At one point I had considered that there was only one Melvin and the baptisms had been mistranscribed as it is easy to mix up a 1 and a 7.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 August 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, kBrown, what information do you want about the family.
I don't want to post information that you may  already have, but if there are areas of the family tree that you want more details on, please ask. ;)

Offline ClaireK87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a great granddaughter of Richard Kelly. I have never known that he spent time in Scotland. I had assumed I haven't been able to find hum on the 1911 census because he had enrolled in the army by that time. Although I'm unsure if the dates add up.