Author Topic: Richmond County School for Girls richmond  (Read 8324 times)

Offline annkemp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richmond County School for Girls richmond
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Having just alighted on RootsChat and information about Richmond County I thought I'd try to get in touch although I realise that your site is fairly old.  I was at the school from 1953-1958.  I lent photographs, together with my remembrances, to Museum of Richmond in 1997.  All the teachers named + Scuds were there when I was and I did visit Miss Davis (Music Teacher) in Devon after she'd retired.  I was in the choir and several musicals produced by Miss Davis.  She was a keen gardener and used a greenhouse by the tennis courts.   I played a lot of sport in school teams - rounders, cricket and netball.  Dorothy Sinzheimer and I travelled on the same bus to school and I believe she was friendly with Mrs Roper (English Teacher) as she always waved to Mr Roper when the bus passed their home.  I was sad to here that Mrs Roper was killed by a falling wall.   I do hope that you receive this.

Offline J Macaulay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Ann Kemp, Muriel Roper was my godmother, she taught my mother and then me, and she and I coincidentally left Richmond County on the same day, when she retired and I left school.  It was indeed a horrible tragedy when she died, then Robin (her husband) died heartbroken, within the year!  Alma Davies and Ruth Smith (who had been head most of the years I was at there) both came to her packed funeral in the Abbey - were you there?  Both of those remained in touch with me at Christmas until each died.  I took my young daughter to visit Alma near the end of her life, and they got on very well.  She still had her twinkly eyes and her warm sense of humour.

Scuds had taught my mother, as had Anne Hartley - who (I think it was), died in a flat fire in Sheen in the 70s .

Offline Clare Blues

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 February 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I attended between 1970 and when the school closed. My last form teacher was Mrs Murtough the French teacher. The class bought her a 5 year diary for Christmas but she never returned after the holiday having died suddenly of meningitis. She was a great teacher and about the only one who could control our rather spirited form class, for which she was much loved!

There was also the very good and kind maths teacher Mr Osmond and the very strict but excellent Latin teacher, Miss Read.

Someone here mentioned the dreaded showers. One of our class removed the wheel that turned them on and buried it in the field; I dont know whether they ever found it. There was also the prize giving at the Richmond Theatre where someone let off a stink bomb; my best friend Jane Harris! We were definitely the 'naughty' half of our year!

Since it was before emails and Facebook  I lost contact with everyone when the school closed. I would especially like to find my 2 best friends there, Jane Harris who moved to Canada and Ruckhshana Buhariwala.