Author Topic: William Edmunson Quaker founder Laois (Queens)  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edmunson Quaker founder Laois (Queens)
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
William Edmunson, the founder of the Quakers, or Society of Friends is buried in the Society of Friends burial ground in Rosenallis and it seems that at one time he owned the graveyard as stated in his last Will.
-------
To my wife, Mary,
all household goods, wool, lining, brass, pewter plate, money in and about the house, together with 2 cows, one horse, or mare, and £100 sterling in money forever.
Likewise, my wife Mary,  shall have peaceable dwelling in the house I now live in, with gardens, orchards etc., grazing for horses,or friends visiting her.
Also turf for firing on the farm and liberty from molestation or rent.
After her decease all above priviliges and appurtenances to son Tryal Edmunson; said son interest in farm of Tineel, excepting aforementioned reserves.
Likewise the graveyard which I give to my Friends, the people in scorn called Quakers.
To said son Tryal, interest in grazing on Derry Lennoys, and his children, forty pounds sterling to be improved by their grandfather and divided to them or survivers with profits.
To children of unhappy son, William, forty pounds sterling, executers to pay to their father to improve it and give greater part to good and gentle, and lesser to wicked and forward.
To chldren of unruly son Samuel, forty pounds sterling, to be paid to father when Will proved.
To children of foolish and disobedient daughter Hinderence Seale, Jane, Thomas, Martha, Elizabeth, James Gregory, £10 sterling each, to be improved by executers with advice from Trustees.
To grandson William Seale, apprentice with Michael Lightfoot, £15 sterling, due on bond from William Grey, and William Bushell of Mountmellick, executers to improve till apprentice ends.
To rebellious daughter Anne Moore, wife of Laurence Moore, deceased, her three daughters, Ann, Anna, Rebecca, £10 sterling each.
'to my seven children' William, Samuel, Tryal Edmunson, Mary Fayle, Susanna Sheldon, Hinderence Seale, Anna Moore, £5 sterling each.
Son-in-law Eleazer Sheldon, to account for substance already given in trust for the children.
To stepson-in-law Thomas Strangman, Thos and Susanna Strangman, two guineas to be improved by their grandfather Thomas Aston.

Executers; James Hutchinson of Knockballymagher, Thomas Winslow of Birr, Richard Eaves of Ballymoyle, Joshua Strangman of Mountmellick.
Dated; 19/10/1710
Witnesses; Richard Grey, Richard Eaves, Thomas Wilkinson and Richard Clarke.
======================
Jack

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Edmunson Quaker founder
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Society of Friends cemetery Rosenallis.
Jack

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
HI
Anyone know any more about the STRANGMAN's mentioned? I have STRANGMAN's from Thurles Tipperary in my ancestral line (Joshua born ? 1733, Joseph born ? 1780's/1790's & various siblings lof Joseph) I believe that Joshua may have had a second marriage from which my line is descended & may have had connections with Knockballymagher which I think is Co Tipperary, where the wife of one of teh Strangmans also hailed from.
I know that my STRANGMAN line must somehow connect with the Waterford Starangman's but haven't yet found out how
Roz

Offline Andrew_S_Hatton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
I see an interesting gathering has recently occurred in Laois - The William Edmundson Homecoming and quite a bit of information has been published and is available on the Internet, here are just two of several links - I suspect further searches in coming months will reveal more once some of the 500 or so who attended post news of their experiences in blogs and other reports.

http://www.edmundsonhomecoming.com/welcome/4588741264

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountmellick-Heritage-Society/343982605713739