Author Topic: Births in Colombo 1879-1897  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Births in Colombo 1879-1897
« on: Friday 22 July 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
I have just found out the names of some of the  children of John Arbuthnott Smith and Augusta Mary Isabel Smith and these children  were born in Ceylon, between 1879 and 1891. The family were back in England for the 1901 Census.
Their father was a tea planter of Rothes, Hatton,  died in 1894 and is buried at Nuwara Eliya.

I would appreciate help in finding their births and full names, Have searched the Overseas Births with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Faith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Births in Colombo 1879-1897
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
If would help if you post the names and any details of the children you've found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, aghadowey for your reply. I didn't want to appear too 'pushy' by listing all the names.
SMITH family - children of John Arbuthnott Smith and Augusta Mary Isobel Griffin whose marriage I cannot find in England and I wonder if she met him over there. John was a Bank Clerk in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1871 C and Augusta was a Private School Teacher in Essex in 1871 C.
The Smith children are -

John Arbuthnott (Jnr) b. 1879,
Alfred Cecil Arbuthnott b. 1881 (may have ended up in Queensland, Aust),
Robert Arthur b. 11 May 1882 (marriage 11/2/1917, Kensington, London, gives John A Snr., dcd Tea Planter as his father,
Harold b, 1886,
Emma b. 1887,
Frederick Augustus b. 1891.

Grateful thanks - Faith

Offline medge169

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi just joined following on from your contact earlier in week. Studying this thread I think I can fill in a bit more detail.

I note that you refer to John Arbuthnott jnr so I assume that John Arbuthnott snr must be my Gt Gt Grandfather as already advised. I note that you have a record of jnr found in Edinburgh census as a bank clerk that would tie in with father being a banker in Dundee. I sounds as though there were at least 2 brothers inc my Gt Grandfather (Charles Frederick Smith). I have seen a studio (in Dundee) photograph of 2 young men teeing up to play golf circa 1870 and didn't know I assume that banking didn't suit John jnr, however Charles Frederick remained in banking although i know little further about him except that he married Catherine Eliza Caldwell and so far I know they only had one daughter Caroline who went to marry my grandfather George Hay who was a solicitor who also became a banker rising to secretary of the Commercial Bank in the 1950s. My guess would be that he was assisted by his father-in-law in the early years as he came from a humble farming background just outside Kinross. I can also confirm that my grand parents were very keen golfers!

I really must make the effort to go back to Arbuthnott and ask a few questions starting with the family as I suspect that my GT Gt Gt had a leg up to start his banking business. Remember that Dundee had strong links with the colonies ie Jute, Tea, Marmalade etc.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 05:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! I'm interested in what you have written and will contact you through the system I used before.

Faith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM system sio medge might need 2 more posts to contact you by PM.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yetanothersmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
I think I can give a little more detail.  John Arbuthnott Smith was my great grandfather, and I have the family bible in front of me with all the names and dates of birth.
John Arbuthnott Smith      born 9 May (no year given)
Augusta Mary Isabel Griffin  or Smith   born 4 July (no year given)   Married 19 February 1878
Chiuldren of above
John Arbuthnott Smith         born 9 December 1878
Alfred Cecil Smith                 born 7 January 1880
Charles Owen Smith            born 15 April 1881
Robert Arthur Smith             born 11 November 1882         died Birchington, Kent 1968 approx
Harold Smith                        born 20 September 1885        killed in action 1916
Emma Caroline Smith           born 6 January 1887               died in Worthing 1960s.
Frederick Augustus Smith    born 29 October 1890

My grandfather always said that J.A. was bored to death clerking in Edinburgh and went to Ceylon initially to plant coffee (which was a failure) then tea (which was fine for a while) but after a crop failure took a job as Manager of the brewery in Nuwara Eliya, where he died and his grave is still well kept.  I have a couple of sepia pictures of the family and the farm, with the children and servants all together (the Scots tea planters were not as standoffish towards the locals as the English civil servants down in Colombo).

After the death of their father, they were shipped to England where they lived with "Aunt Doll" who seems to have been a kindly soul, but how they came to be in Essex when their father was Sottish and their mother Welsh, I am not sure, although one of your answers gives a clue.
Harold was killed in the First World War, Emma never married but lived to a ripe old age and Robert ran away into the jungle and survived for a week at 7, ran away again and joined the army (underage) at 15, fought in the Boer War, and rose through the ranks to Colonel in the First World War (MC) and found life rather boring when not on active service.  He died in the 1960s.

Going further back, the Dundee connection does not surprise me.  On our side of the family, we all have signet rings with a Gaelic inscription "Caraid am Faim" and the family were supposed to be near Alyth in Perthshire in the 18th century.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
How wonderful yetanothersmith, will try and contact you with a personal message. You can't contact me until you have 3 postings.
How are you connected? I am through George Smith's 2nd marriage to Frances Helen Mackie.

I really appreciate your data and will be in contact soon.

Faith

Offline medge169

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I am not the best communcator on this as very busy with wife's business just now, numerous deadlines!

All of this is most interesting. This of course relates to my mothers side of the family and to quote my mother from the past "there are very few of us on our side of the family". She was also an excellent communicator and I regret I paid little attention! However to fill in a bit

My mother was born Margaret Jean Arbuthnott Hay in 12 Moston Terrace. Edinburgh of George Hay (Solicitor) and Caroline Hay (Smith) 24/5/1923. She had an older sister Sheila who was v bright and got a first in History from Oxford - born 06/03/1919 at 1 Braidburn Terrace, G Hay described at that time as Law agent & Corpl Royal Garrison Artillery. They had married 31/06/1914 in Edinburgh in Free Kirk

Caroline Smith was born 19/07/1885 at 8 Mentone Terrace Edinburgh of Charles Frederick Smith and Catherine Eliza Smith (ne Caldwell) married Liberton Parish Church (Newington Edinburgh) 11/07/1882.

I am aware of a couple unexplained relations and I can't confirm where they fit in at the moment.
My mother had acousin Alec Walker who had a gents taylors in Edinburgh with a son Colin and daughter Rosemary and she used to write an Uncle "Pat" in NSW up unit the 1970s when she lost touch - they were farmers - all I remember is that they were always tending their dams to consrve water!