Author Topic: The Holyland thread!  (Read 33534 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
The Holyland thread!
« on: Friday 22 July 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Continuing this from a diverson in the Desford/Upton thread.  (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,395576.0.html)

My Holylands "appeared" in Market Bosworth pr in the first half of the 18th century and then migrated into Leicester town in the mid1800s.  By the turn of the 19-20th centuries some of them were making quite a comfortable living with shops that sold furniture, mangles,sewing machines (Holyland was a sewing machine tradename at the time).

I am 99% certain that my Holylands came to Mkt Bosworth from Desford but I haven't yet found the link.

It's not a common surname and it's not easy to google because all you get is sites relevant to the Holy Land in the middle east!

Do have Holylands in your tree? Please feel free to add to this thread and we can share info, ask questions etc!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Ottawa_John

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The HOLYLAND thread!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
I will add my Holyland notes here:
My Holyland started with Anne Holyland, who married Charles Richards the son of Simon and Elizabeth (nee Upton) Richards. The Holyland - Richards marriage was in the Methodist Chapel in Bardsby in 1824.

Anne was the daughter of John and Judith (nee Parker) Holyland and baptised in Balby 1801
John (the Father) was baptised in Ratby 1770  looks to be the son of a John baptised in Desford 1737

Before that we have a William baptised 1701 and a Thomas 1679 and others, where I have been but a name collector until now, all in Desford.

I have somewhere a photo of a tombstone in Leicestershire with Holylands in the grave, I took this in the 1990s and probably needs to be scanned, but I think it was in South Croxton!

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
freereg has 28 baptisms / 25 marriages for Holylands in leics.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the will of Thomas Holyland, yeoman of Desford, proved May 1653. I hoped it might help me link the Desford and Mkt Bosworth branches, but there are still 2 generations inbetween.

He was either a bit self-important or had a sense of humour; his first bequest was for 10 shillings ot be paid to the poor of Desford on St Thomas's day!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I don't have any Holyland's that I know of and I might have thought it would be an easy name to research - but not if the Ratby registers are anything to go by......  ::)

Notes and queries, Volume 23 - By William White = http://www.rootschat.com/links/0edm/

Offline pcjr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 11 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have Holyland's on my tree, Thomas Holyland came from Blably,he married Elizabeth Rask, son Thomas
born 1779 Blaby married Elizabeth Doubleday, children Theodosia born Cossington, married Thomas Bevan of Syston.Thomas and Elizabeth had 3 children. After the last child Thomas just disappeared.
Can someone please do look up for me
Blaby PR for Holyland's, needing  Thomas's 1722 parents please.
Thanks
pcjr
Baines, Bevan,Garner, Hone, Phillips, Smith, Edden, Franklin, Thornton,
Idle, King, Cramp, Holyland, Doubleday, Simons, Warren,Needham, Ringwood, Randle, Cox,Exton, Outram, (England)

Keay/Kay. .Reid, Liddle ,Hogg , Black,(Scotland)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Excellent thread.

My Mum was called Annette Olive Maud HOLYLAND. Like has been said previously, the family seemed to migrate from Desford/Peckleton to Leicester in the mid 1800's. From what I've found out so far my Great Grandad, Simeon HOLYLAND was a shoe pressman and lived in the Catherine Street are of Leicester in the early 1900's - he stayed in that general area until he died in 1951, having married twice.
His first wife, my Great Grandma was Maud HARNETT - originally born in Wolverhampton. They married in 1915 at Saint Michael All Angels church on Melton Road.

My Grandad was their youngest child, born in 1925, he was called Herald David HOLYLAND. He met my Grandma Maureen Lucy Rosina DOOLAN in her native Colchester in 1944 - he was a sailor based in Essex (from what I know).
My Mum Annette was the first of their 10 children (born 1947), two girls followed by 8 boys. The two girls and 1st son were all born in Colchester - then in 1952 my Grandparents moved up to my Grandad's native Leicester - where the rest of their children were born.

I have more details, but have tried to be concise - but thought this might be of interest to readers. My Mum passed away in January 2014, my Grandma Maureen in 2010. Herald David died in 1990.

All 8 of the Holyland sons are still with us.

I have started an autobiographical site based around photos - it is early days, but you can find it at http://www.essonneimage.com if of interest.

Regards,

John NELSON.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
I thought when i read this - I've come across Simeon before, although he's not in my tree. Actually on checking, I see that it's Simeon snr father Fulshaw H who has come to my attention before - he was regularly in the newspapers for various wrongdoings and I'm pretty sure he's on either the prison CD or the workhouse one, or both (but that's not to hand this at this moment). Do you have these details and if not, do you want them?
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
I thought when i read this - I've come across Simeon before, although he's not in my tree. Actually on checking, I see that it's Simeon snr father Fulshaw H who has come to my attention before - he was regularly in the newspapers for various wrongdoings and I'm pretty sure he's on either the prison CD or the workhouse one, or both (but that's not to hand this at this moment). Do you have these details and if not, do you want them?

I've got 3 Simeons in my tree - three consectutive generations. The last two were Simeon Norman, the last was my Great Uncle - who everyone called Norman. I probably met him, but I don't remember.
I have one record of "larceny" for Fulshaw H... I get the feeling the family was very colourful. If you have any details that'll be very useful and if I can provide anything in return then please feel free to let me know.
My Mum's family was always like a soap opera - whenever I came to see my Grandma, there was always news of who did what to who... Sometimes I was glad I was an only child and of course my surname was different too!

I last saw my Mum's brothers last year for her funeral... 6 of the 8 turned up which was a nice surprise. Of the other 2, one lives in Canada now (the oldest) and the youngest was in hospital. We're not really close - not helped by the fact I've lived in France these last 18 years.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)